Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow everywhere UK - be safe

Post Thanks / Like
    I know we'll get lots of people excited about the snow and being happy about it and yet again I will be acused of being a killjoy but for thiose who have to be out and about and have no choice please stay safe and drive carefully

Post Thanks / Like
    We're safe. Adrian working from home. Steven staying at home with him as school is closed. I'll walk into school to see what needs doing. Guinea pigs toasty and warm in the dining room. Dog not going anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a killjoy at all Skywatcher , just very thoughtful

We have had non-stop snow here for more than 3 weeks and as you said, although it is beautiful, and it was lovely to have a white Christmas, it is difficult in lots of ways. My Mum hasn't been able to leave her house for a couple of weeks as the paths are like glass on her estate and she's worried to walk on them, and it's on a steep hill so the busses won't go there and the bins haven't been emptied since before Christmas. Her close friend slipped outside there and broke his ankle too. We are so glad that we have a 4 wheel drive truck or we could not have even left our property. Any preparations for our holiday in terms of shopping have been forgotten about, anything we haven't got we will just get when we get there. I'm hoping so much that this eases off next week....our house sitter has to come up by train from Milton Keynes, and the trains don't appear to be coping with this weather too well. Couple that with the fact that a lot of flights are being cancelled I'm getting a bit jittery. However, I shall look on the bright side and think that a lot can happen in a week

I have to go out to the doctor's in a few minutes....I shall take the truck, and drive very slowly. The snow here today is falling really heavily. I agree with Chris, enjoy the snow but take great care everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I walked into school only to be sent back home again. Only essential office staff in today. A few of the kids from school were playing in the street so I stopped to say hello to them. Walked to Asda to get some bits - beef stew tonight. They were still waiting for their milk delivery. Toying with the idea of clearing our bit of pavement but it's just started snowing again...

Post Thanks / Like
    People asking for home visits all morning as they can't get in - trying to explain I don't have a magic car that can get up a raod theirs cant isn't easy

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah some people have no idea about the real world. They phone the school and we say it's closed because staff can't get it. They think the entire school staff lives within walking distance of the place.

There's a handsome robin just outside the back door eating the mealworms I put out. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mazda RX8s are not very good in the snow - they sort of go sideways a lot

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad had to abandon his car yesterday when he came home after work. Let's just say it took him a while to get home and he had some VERY rude words to say about his car
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    That kind of snow goes from beautiful to treacherous very fast. Do please stay safe. Nothing is worth being stranded (and have your life jeopardized) in the snow! I'm not sure how it is there, but here in many parts of the country it is a very real possibility to lose your life if you become stranded outdoors in the bitter winter.

It's very cold here in NC, and there is snow forecast for tomorrow. The Community that I am working with has a lovely managment team and they are all concerned about my driving in the snow. I don't often get that sort of caring concern, so it's nice for a change!

So, to echo our Good Doc, yes, please, please be safe. If in doubt, stay in. Far better than going out and risking injury or worse.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done my civic duty and cleared the pavement outside our house. :D

People still complaining about schools being closed on local news. Aaarrrrgggghhhh - there are no buses running, the trains are severely disrupted. Not all of us live 300 yards from the school. We try and those who can go in do but we need a specific number of adults in the building before we can legally accept the children. It's your child's safety ultimately. Yes we are an essential service but unlike poor Skywatcher we are not a "life or death" service.

Rant over. :D

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast