Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Tink!

Post Thanks / Like
    Something I've been meaning to ask you for a couple of days Tink, how do the the gators deal with the cold weather you are currently having? Does it have an adverse affect on them?

Post Thanks / Like
    They bury themselves as best they can, but yes, it does have an adverse effect as they are reptiles. They seek out sources of heat, so that can be a real problem, eh?

Another thing that happens is the iguanas fall out of the trees! Seriously! There aren't many wild ones here in the Orlando area, but further south it's the case.

Also those little anole lizards (the geckos) are struggling. They'll find anything that is putting off heat and crouch nearby. That means they run the risk of getting run over (cars) or swept into engines at startup...

The herons and cranes are suffering too. If the weather stays cold long enough for the edges of the fresh water ponds and lakes to start to freeze, there will be real issues.

The manatees will congregate near the warm springs, and near run off from the power plants as that run off is warmer than the water it is entering (one tiny benefit to pollution, eh)?

Good question, Claire!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah. I was kind of hoping that the wildlife wasn't having too hard a time of it. Rather silly really when you consider what they would normally experience I guess. My family always laugh at me and say I'd make a dreadful farmer. Whenever the temperatures dip too low I always say I'd drag all the animals into the house and cover them with blankets.

I imagine you would have organisations that will help folks at a time like this if they were in need but is there any one that can help the animals with something like shelters for those taken ill due to the weather?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not too many. There are some places that help hurt animals and birds, but not too many that are willing to give a blanket to a 'gator.

The organizations that are there for people are struggling too. Not enough supplies to go around, and they are asking for donations of large coats, blankets, etc.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I can only imagine how the homeless population is doing. I know that in the Tampa, Clearwater, and St Pete area there was a huge population of homeless. Not good. :(

Post Thanks / Like
    They are struggling badly, Billie. :( There is a large homeless population throughout FL because it's usually warm... when it gets this cold, it's terrible for them. The shelters are not adequate to the task.

Some hurricane shelters have opened for local folk. Some older homes don't have central heating.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's horrible! I hope it warms up soon for everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    No warmer today.

Meant to add, about the reptiles, as their bodies are dependent upon the climate for their internal temperature, the cold just drops them to a type of half sleep (don't want to say hibernation as that is not the case). Short term, it shouldn't do them any harm. Also, the ground retains heat much longer than the air, of course, so it takes longer for the ground to cool down. Air temp may be 30 this morning, but the ground (a bit below the surface) would be warmer.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for caring, Claire! Wish more people here (in FL) did!

Post Thanks / Like
    aw

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume that when an alligator bites you in this weather, then it`s called a cold snap!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast