Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iTune question...

Post Thanks / Like
    This is probably the wrong place for this (so feel free to move it...), but I gotta ask. As you may or may not know, my laptop developed a very nasty virus and is totally unusable. So I got a new one. Now for my question... iTunes... Do I just download it and put my music back on, or is there something else I have to do?

Thanks!
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    Donna,

A couple of things. First, you've got to download and re-install iTunes. Then you've got to setup that new copy of iTunes to use your Apple iTunes store account. You can do that off the "Store" menu. That's all you need to do to get iTunes up and running. However, there's a couple of other things you may need to do.

You'll need to authorize your new iTunes account to play any music you've purchased from the iTunes store. You do this off the "Store" menu. Choose "Authorize Computer...". You're only allowed to have 5 computers authorized. Now, your old dead one counts as one. This one's two. You may have more. What to do if you've already got 5 authorized and want to start over. For this, you login to your iTunes account. If you've got 5 authorized computers, you'll see a button that says "De-Authorize All". Push that and all your computers will be de-authorized. Then you can authorize each one that you still want back individually.

Now to the bad news. If you had any purchased iTunes music on your old computer, and you didn't have it backed up, it's gone. Apple and the iTunes store only allow you to download your music once. It's up to you to keep backup copies of it. You can "try" emailing the Apple iTunes store support and tell them what happened but there's no guarantees that they'll be willing to help.

The good news is that if all your music was on CD's, you can just re-import the CD's into your iTunes library and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more.

Tom (... oh bother! Skywatcher's gonna say "I told you so!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been in a similar situation before and told a bit of a porky to Apple that my music simply dissapeared and then offered the last 6 or so months of purchases as a download :)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 186111
    Now to the bad news. If you had any purchased iTunes music on your old computer, and you didn't have it backed up, it's gone. Apple and the iTunes store only allow you to download your music once. It's up to you to keep backup copies of it. You can "try" emailing the Apple iTunes store support and tell them what happened but there's no guarantees that they'll be willing to help.
    Then I guess it's lucky for me that I backed up my music!!! thanks for the help!
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I have a 1 terabyte external hard drive. My pictures and music are backed up there. Is iTunes smart enough to recognize that drive? Or do I need to put it on my laptop?
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwgrandma, post: 186113
    Then I guess it's lucky for me that I backed up my music!!! thanks for the help!
    Good for you!

Tom (... backup is your friend!)

Post Thanks / Like
    The force is strong in this one
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Check msg #5 please~
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    Woops! Missed that one
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwgrandma, post: 186115
    Ok, I have a 1 terabyte external hard drive. My pictures and music are backed up there. Is iTunes smart enough to recognize that drive? Or do I need to put it on my laptop?
    Unless the drive is always connected, what you need to do is copy your music over to a folder (such as Music or My Music) and then click "File>Add Folder to Library" and select the folder that the music is in it It will add to your iTunes library :)
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Josh! Pretty much what I thought...
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast