Thread: Educational Trip to the World

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all! I will be taking my 6yr old to WDW last day of April. He'll miss 4 days of school in order to celebrate his 7th birthday and an early Mother's Day for me at the flower show. The question is if anyone knows of a site or has advice for me to come up with "homework assignments" to turn into his teacher when we get back. One idea I've had, was to do a digital log of something educational. Does anyone have any ideas to do with that or something else all together? Thank you for your help!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    There are several things you can do at the "World."

At EPCOT, there is the World Showcase. There is a passport you can purchase and have stamped in each country. You can incorporate that into the child seeking out and meeting a representative of that country in each place. There are CMs that come to WDW from the respective countries to work in the pavilions, often for college credit.

You could have a predetermined phrase, such as "Hello my name is" that the child could ask the CM to write in that country's language. You could also ask about the capitol of the country, the leader, the type of schools, that sort of thing.

In other words, make each country stop a place where the child learns something about the country from a native.

In Future world there is Innoventions which has any number of little places that something can be learned, all while having fun. Living with the Land, and The Living Seas pavilion all have great opportunities as does Ellen's Energy Adventure, even though its a bit old now.

AK is wild with possibilities. (OK, that was really lame, but I couldn't resist). From the little "school" they conduct up near the entrance to the safari, to Rafiki's Planet earth, there are all sorts of places to learn new things.

There used to be a guide to the AK (we have one, it's from 2000) where all the animals and plants are featured. We find it great fun to tick them off as we discover them. (So we're weird! ).

Those are the two parks that come to mind first. Sea World would also lend itself to learning about animals, as they do a nice job there of rescuing.

Hope that helps a bit!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tink! Great ideas! I love the Epcot idea and am "wild" lol about the AK idea too! I appreciate your input!