Thread: Dublin

Post Thanks / Like
    Was meant to be going to Dublin today with the group that organised the HK exhange.. we got to the restaurant we where eating in before checking into the airport hotel and one of the leaders told us that our return flight is cancelled because of an air traffic controller strike... I didn't believe him so I checked on my phone, and he was telling the truth

Apparently the air traffic controllers are demanding a 6% pay increase, dispite them having a 15% cut in productivity due to the declining tourism in Dublin. (More info here) Checked into the hotel and called a meeting. The youth leaders can't take the chance to take us to Dublin and not have return flights for us. So we instead decide to go on a day out around Liverpool.

Don't get me wrong, I had a fantastic day and it was brilliant to catch up with some of the UK group that I haven't seen since we got back from HK, but I am dissapointed we couldn't go to Dublin We stayed around the hotel and had breakfast (it was a Hilton so the hotel was REALLY nice ) Then we went to see the new film 'Avatar' in the cinema, and then for a meal out before doing some shopping and going home.

The worst part of it, is that the youth leader (Charles) is retiring this year, so as a 'reunion' he organised this trip for us. Some of it was paid for with the budget left over from our Hong Kong trip, however he paid for most of it out of his own retirement fund! He is one of the kindest people I've ever met and now he's lost out on a LOT of money as he won't get a refund for our outbound flights, and he won't get his deposit refunded for any of the stuff he pre-booked for us in Dublin.

BIG going to the Irish air traffic controllers! I'm VERY annoyed at them!!!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no Josh, that's dreadful....I'm so sorry, you must feel so bad for Charles, the poor man

Post Thanks / Like
    That is utterly dreadful Josh. However, since the flights were canceled through no fault of your own I would think the airlines would HAVE to refund the monies paid.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    The flights from Dublin back to Liverpool where, but our flight TOO Dublin still ran, so we couldn't fly out there. :( It was cheaper to book one each way rather than a return so we loose out over our flights from Liverpool to Dublin.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wow. That is really too bad. :( It's really awful that the outbound tickets are lost for reimbursement. :(

It's good that you had a nice day, but I totally understand your disappointment and concern for your friend.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    That is terrible Josh, I don't blame you for being disappointed. Poor guy, what a nice thing to do!

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s terrible news Josh. I`m so sorry for you and your party, especially Charles who really lost out.
    Those ATC`s have us over a barrel at times.