Thread: Obama 1 year on - why the analysis now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Much has been made in the last couple of days ( far far too much IMHO) of teh fact that Mr Obama has been at the helm a year now, they even had a piece on the kids news programme where American children were ranking him out of 10 on his performance.

A lot of people seem dissapointed

Considering the mess the planet as a whole was in not just the US when he took charge, is this dissapointment more about unrealistic expectations than the guy failing to deliver.

From an outsiders point of view who had several issues I felt needed addressing, he pretty much started to tackle those immediately he was in office.

Americas standing on the world stage has taken a huge shift in the right direction ever since his election, world leaders are queuing up to stand next to him politically and physically; not so the previous encumbant.

He has won the Nobel peace prize already

Seriously how much were people expecting from just a year, when a lot of the issues are beyond the powers of any one man?

Post Thanks / Like
    Americans expect the impossible, and then sit back and watch while one person struggles to do the entire job alone. We have political factions here that are dedicated to seeing him fail and are taking action to ensure that happens.

Tea Baggers. Birthers. The fringe element, but they cost us much in energy and action.

Americans are impatient. That is why we are in this mess. We want what we want and we want it now.

Our government is so complex and laden with red tape, nothing can happen "now." It all takes time. Time is a commodity that we don't like to acknowledge.

President Obama has done more to improve the overall situation in this country and between this country and the world than has been done in the last twelve years (discounting his one year). That does not mean he's done some key actions that helped to get him elected.

Approval ratings are pure garbage and are devised to control the unthinking masses. I know that sounds harsh, but it's the truth. If an individul pays attention to what is actually happening and thinks for her/himself then those approval ratings don't me a thing.

I know this isn't much help, but it makes me feel a bit better to vent a bit!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    From my perspective, what Tink said!

The whole thing is disgusting! Nobody ever criticized Bill Clinton like this while he was in office. Even though his morals left just a wee bit to be desired. No, much of this seems to be the purview of a bunch of small minded zealots who just can't stand the thought of a black man being President of the United States.

Has Obama accomplished much yet? No. He hasn't. Largely because of the people I referenced in the previous paragraph. And sadly, I don't think he'll be able to accomplish much due to those same people. Now so more than ever (thanks Massachusetts)!

I fear that the United States has missed the opportunity to show the world that we had changed. That we had become bigger than the differences that separated us from one another. That chance is now sadly gone I believe. And now we're back to business as usual and left with what is I think, a lame duck President.

I used to be a Republican. But over the years, I've become much more liberal in my thinking. I had hoped the United States as a whole had been doing the same. Obviously, I was mistaken.

Tom (... Rush Limbaugh for Garbage Collector! :mad: )

Post Thanks / Like
    Tink and Tom I couldn't have put it any better myself. These political factions are just not giving the man a chance. It was the republicans that put us in this mess in the first place, the democrats took control of the house and senate late in the process and now they want them all back out of there. Give the man a chance to see what he can do over time. Could he have let the car companies and the banks etc. fail and not bail them out? Certainly, but can you imagine how much worse the mess would be in this country than it already is. We are already at high unemployment. Just thing what it would be like if everybody went bankrupt. Hello 1929 and the Great Depression.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    President Obama is requiring every single cent of the bank bail out be repaid, and rightly so. The man is no fool. He's fiercely intelligent and a gentle man, that could be seen as part of the problem I suppose.

I guess we need to channel some meaness in the man.

The opposite faction uses stupid tactics to interfere in the good uses (there are some, HONEST) of government. We saw it with the focus on Bill Clinton's nonsense with Monica. WHOOOOOOOCARESSSS!!!!

I don't care WHERE this president was born, WHAT COLOR his skin is, WHERE his father is from, WHERE he grew up or WHERE he went to school! Sheesh. Get over it and let's get down to what really matters, improving the lot for everyone not only in THIS country, but globally.

Ugh. Now see? I have an acid stomach.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 186770
    President Obama is requiring every single cent of the bank bail out be repaid, and rightly so. The man is no fool. He's fiercely intelligent and a gentle man, that could be seen as part of the problem I suppose.

I guess we need to channel some meaness in the man.

The opposite faction uses stupid tactics to interfere in the good uses (there are some, HONEST) of government. We saw it with the focus on Bill Clinton's nonsense with Monica. WHOOOOOOOCARESSSS!!!!

I don't care WHERE this president was born, WHAT COLOR his skin is, WHERE his father is from, WHERE he grew up or WHERE he went to school! Sheesh. Get over it and let's get down to what really matters, improving the lot for everyone not only in THIS country, but globally.

Ugh. Now see? I have an acid stomach.
    AMEN

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    i hope my american friends do not find this offensive- it's not meant as such and just my opinion- when 9/11 happened America had the attention and sympathy of the world. I believe that the republicans and George W with his gun slinging ways squandered the opportunity for good and made themselves more of a target than they were before. In that they lost a lot of the respect afforded to them.

Obama has as was said earlier in the thread started to gain that respect back and then this. i think he has done well and has a lot of the world on his side, it saddens me to think this could be in jeopardy.

The health care bill is obviously a huge thing to some people- i don't know the exact details but my opinion is that a reasonable standard of health care is a right not a priviledge.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it's unfair to be analyzing our President after 1 year in office. We analyze everything in this world so why wouldn't we? I do understand one has to take into account who/what/why/where the analysis is coming from. I mean obviously the public isn't going to care what grade school kids are ranking the president from 1-10 on.

I think one of the big reasons why many people are not happy with Obama right now is that he is sending more troops overseas and he promised and promised that the opposite would happen.
    I also think the Healthcare issue is just a disaster. I cannot believe what was trying to get pushed through before the end of the year.

I am not an Obama supporter or hater. I, with all honesty, didn't think either candidate from the last election was the answer we needed. All I can hope for is change for the better.

I live in NY, if you want to see bad politics take a look around here!
    xxoo Rosie