Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's August like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone had any experience of the parks last two weeks of August?
    What are the crowd levels like?
    What's the weather like?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's very hot and humid but the crowds are pretty low. They typically offer free dining during this period so the restaurants are usually crazy. We usually go this time of year.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll let you know when I get back. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    I have gone the last two weeks of August for the last 5 years and Johnie hit it on the head. The parks are relatively light but the restaurants are a bit of a nightmare. If I were you I would make all dining reservations as soon as you can. It is extremely humid and very hot which makes the pool even more desirable especially at the end of the day. It rains just about everyday but usually not for very long.As long as there is free dining we will continue to go this time of year.

off site- AUG 86 --- carribean beach JULY94
    all star movies JULY99- all star sports JULY00
    coronado JAN01---------all star sports AUG01
    all star music JULY02 ---All Star Movies Apr03
    POR JULY04 -------------Disneyland Hotel Aug 04
    Pop Century APR 05 -----Pop Century AuG 05
    Pop Century AUG 06-----Carribean beach Aug 07
    Pop Century Aug-08----- Pop Century Aug -09
    Pop Century Aug-11------Off Prop- Feb 12
    Caribbean Bch-Aug 12---Pop Century Aug 13
    Pop Dec 14---Pop Feb 15--Pop April 15

Post Thanks / Like
    hot and humid

VERY hot and VERY humid

but the crowds are easy to deal with

oh! did I mention its very hot and humid?

Post Thanks / Like
    lol yes, it definately is hot and humid. Actually last Aug was quite pleasant compared to early Oct.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hot and humid as everyone has said but the crowds arent bad at all. I have always gone in those last two weeks but have noticed that the crowds have grown since the introduction of the free ddp. Having said that, all the usual rules apply, like getting to the parks early, making maximum use of the FPs, filling those water bottles all day long and making max use of the air con. We arent lovers of the heat but we still dont mind August and we're off again this year.

Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep hot an humid although last year either the humidity dropped or we just got 'used' to it as the first few days seemed the worst. One thing I did notice about the weather an I don't know if it was just last year, is that we had a lot of lightening storms without any rain, this meant that the pools were shut a lot - especially in the afternoons.

Crowds were managable the middle of August and then dropped right off in the last week. Althoug you are used to Christmas so i wouldn't think you would have a problem.

I was really quite worried about going in August after always going in Sept/Oct but it wasn't bad at all and I would have no problem going again, which is a bit of luck seeing as we don;t have a lot of other options for the next few years!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Thunderstorms that will drench you to the bone. They last from 10 to 40 minutes usually and right after they stop it is hotter and more humid if you can imagine. The pavements actually steam.

You'll need decent rain gear, and extra shoes. Don't even think about make up or "doing your hair." It's a clean face and hair off the neck sort of visit.

It's mosquito time too, so get some really good repellent. And get the very best sunscreen you can find. I know the ads tell us that they all are the same but that absolutely isn't so. You'll want one that doesn't torment you with stickiness in that heata and humidity.

You'll spend your days a little differently wanting to be out of the hottest or wettest part of the day which is usually between 11 and 4. (Or a portion thereof). Mornings are usually fine, as well as evenings, so those afternoon hours are good for the heavy dinner of the day (Like a Proper Irish! :D ) a rest (yes, because of the humidity and heat you will need more of a rest) and if you are lucky weather wise a dip in the pool.

The evening is great for returning to a park, having a light dinner/supper and enjoying the fireworks from whichever vantage point. You'll slick up with the mosquito repellent for sure in the evening.

To echo everyone else, the restaurants are ridiculously full, so service suffers mightily and so does the quality of the food. Herself has a birthday in August and we almost always went to a Disney restaurant. Last year was the end of that for us. When she was served an unedible dinner at California Grill, we decided we'd be taking our food dollars for those special dinners (and nearly any other dinner) elsewhere.

Another thing that isn't often mentioned, but you will hear on the news, the lake and pond waters (still waters) will reach sustained temperatures of 80 degrees or more which will spawn a particular type of amoeba. That amoeba when entering the body ... no easy way to say this, causes death. :( We've lost some children in this immediate area because of them. So all that to say STAY OUT OF PONDS, and LAKES in the summer. STAY OUT. Disney does a VERY poor job of seeing that people stay out of their ponds, using only that little discrete sign "Stay out of the water."

Wow, guess that makes August sound horrible and I don't mean it too. It's just that to enjoy the visit, you'll need to do things a bit differently than you do during the winter visits. But you won't be wearing five layers!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    i went a couple of years ago at the end of August and yes it was very hot, i found i got used to it after a couple of days with simple precautions. I tend to drink lots of water anyway but i found that gatorade/powerade type drinks seemed to pep me up a bit when really hot. Completely echo the rest at the hottest part of the day, i like to escape for a rest in our air conditioned room at that part of the day but i know others see this as a waste.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast