Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' Thin in 2010! (& healthy too!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AbbyAddiesmom09, post: 187690
    I have struggled with my weight all my life...it wasn't until my hubby and I had been ttc for over a year that my dr at the time (hubby was a marine) tested me for certain things. Come to find out I had pcos. Some of the main side effects, gain weight and can't lose it That was in 05, got pregnant (finally!) shortly after with the help of meds...had a pretty good pregnancy until around 28 weeks, diagnosed with GD and shortly after wound up in the hospital on bedrest with HELLP syndrome. Delivered Tink at 33 weeks, spent 6 days in the nicu came home and she'll be 4 this april lol I lost a lot of weight during my pregnancy and tried so hard to keep going but it slowly creeped back. Found out in august 07 we were expecting again...started losing weight and was determined to eat healthy and stick to it after having the baby. Our world came shattering all around us when we went for a routine 18 weeks u/s and our son had passed away just hours before our appt. My 'healthy lifestyle' went out the window and I haven't seen it since. About 5 months after our loss a blessing was given to us, our Princess :) After a terrifying 18 weeks we we're all clear and for 2 weeks we enjoyed her pregnancy with no fears. At 20 weeks I was put on modified bedrest due to elevated bp and at 22 weeks I was back in the hospital with everyone unsure if I or our princess would make it. I had HELLP syndrome again and we still had 2 weeks before she was considered "viable". I told everyone that day I would get us "beyond viable" and shockingly I made it to 30 weeks before my liver and kidneys just about shut down completely and my platelets bottomed out on us. We spent a month and 1 day in the nicu and came home the friday before christmas 08. We dealt with many issue's with her as a preemie and then just as we cleared that my emotions took over and the last few months have been so hard dealing with Zach's passing. I have had no motivation to exercise AT ALL and I am a big time emotional eater. But I am bound and determined to get this weight off for my girls, they need their mom to be healthy and 100% and my son lives on through our small jewelry business so I need to look my best at craft shows.

Thankfully my hubby is with me on this so we will do this together. I have made myself a chart, titled 'Minniemizing for the Mouse' It helps me remember my goals and gives me a visual countdown. I can't wait to really enjoy having my picture taken with the girls and having the energy to do things! lol

So now I have 1 more surgery to get through before I can do hard workouts but for now we as a family are going to be doing our nightly walks and I will do the easy stuff on the wii fit.

Does anyone have any good recipes that are healthy and budget friendly? Maybe we could exchange recipes to help us if we get in a rut? I have a ton of crockpot recipes if anyone is interested...I don'y know if they are truely healthy but we just limit our portions.
    Wow Hope, you sure have been through so much. My heart goes out to you. And I completely understand about having so much happen that you just can't even think about dieting and taking solace in food. It's been my way my whole life.

But it's not too late for us to change! And it sounds like your ready. I tell myself the same thing, my girls need their mother alive & healthy. I want to be here to see grandkids (a looooong time from now, lol). It does help having a hubby doing it with you. OF course mine is doing that funky low carb diet & I'm doing low calorie so we can't have hardly any meals of the same thing.

Recipes would be great. Or at least some meal suggestions. Though I'm not tired of my whopping salads yet I imagine soon they may grow old. Seems a photo shoot is going to be in order for us :D

Ya know what I remember the most about when I lost all the weight in 2006 & we went to WDW...it was riding the carousel. In all our trips I had never done it due to my size. I wasn't too big to actually get to ride on it but I feared looking foolish. Like someone would snicker & say, look at the fat lady on the horse. It felt so good when I climbed up their & proudly road it with my girls. I want to do that again in July!

Hope do you have a trip planned to WDW? If so, when?
    [SIGPIC]The Family![/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope. I am so very sorry.

You will do this. Your daughters need you to, and you'll show them just how strong a woman you are. Teaching them to eat healthy along with your new approach to eating can be a family project! Help from them planning meals, and maybe even making some simple things, eh?

Good luck to you, and every good wish that you are successful!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks ya'll! :)

BT- We are going the last full week in September. We own timeshare down there about a mile out from Disney. I can't wait...I missed out going with all my family in Oct 08 due to being in the hospital so now I really can't wait lol But now that we have a week in mind I have no idea where to begin! lol Thats when I found this community so hopefully ya'll can help me out :)
    Hope
    mom to
    Abby (Tink)~3
    Zachary-Bryan~ grew his wings 12-5-07
    Adalyn(Princess)~1

Post Thanks / Like
    Dieting is the worst, that's why I never think of it in those terms, it makes me want to eat a 5 pound box of chocolates!! Of course I'd then be in a diabetic coma but hey it's chocolate!! To keep your metabolism going you need to eat at regular intervals or you won't lose weight. Try to pick a day to allow yourself a treat and eat and enjoy. You won't feel deprived then. Emotional eating can really pack on the pounds, try to substitute it with an activity( walk the dog!!!) My normal weight should be 108 -110 but I'm stuck at 112 ( for years now!!!) It does make a difference in my glucose and heart problems but I can't break the barrier it seems. I have a small frame ( chicken wrists my loving son calls them!) and even 4 lps makes a difference. Our stories are similar, we have a daughter with wings ( November 23rd 1994 - Lexie) Maybe they know each other!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 187656
    I have beat diabetes (type II) and want to keep it that way. I've also dropped the HTN, and no longer need meds for that. The only thing left is the lovely thyroid.
    Tink, I didn't know that. Way to go!!! I didn't realize that once you have diabetes that it can go away. So you no longer have to take insulin?

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    I was one doctor's appointment from needing to begin using insulin. I was taking three medications for diabetes and it was still out of control (as was the BP).

Yes, in some instances if you get your blood glucose under control, and lose weight, it will stop you from needing the medication. However, if I return to eating the wrong carbs, ect. I will end up back in the same boat. In other words, if I follow the standard diabetic diet, I will end up a diabetic.

It's a long story, but the result is that once I learned what was nutritionally sound and what worked FOR ME, I was able to kick the type II to the back seat.

Yes, if you get things under control, you can indeed beat the disease (again in some cases).

Hope that helps a bit?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I had always been in shape. I was a three sport athlete in high school and played college football and track for two years. Back then I had sworn to myself that I would never let me body go and keep in the best shape possible. Well, needless to say I have let myself down. I have been hovering around 245-255 for the past 12 years and I am sick to death of it. I am 38 years old and I'm already tired about worrying about my health. I want to be able to play baseball again, run around without getting out of breath.

I am currently sitting at 239, the lowest I have been since August 2008. I need to keep going. I want to be at least 200 lbs by my 39th birthday (5/8/10) and 185-190 by my 40th birthday. I want to get off the cholesterol medication, I want my sleep apnea to go away. I want to look at my crusie vacation pictures and say, "hey, I look pretty good!" instead of, "who the hell is that person."

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. Your story is mine, although my weight rocketed in under a year.

I truly woke up "fat" one day.

Fortunately, I have a great doc!

I know you can do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, wait a sec! I didn't play football!

I was track, sprinter. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 187833
    Well, wait a sec! I didn't play football!

I was track, sprinter. :D
    LOL! I was a sprinter as well. I couldn't take those long distances. My longest race was 1600 meter relay. Once around the track was enough for me.

Upcoming Vacations:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast