Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know anything about playing piano?

Post Thanks / Like
    Steven's got the chance to start piano lessons in September - he'll be 5 and a half then. It's 13 a lesson which is a lot for us to find but he says he wants to have a go. Could this be a bit too young? And how much practise at home was needed right at the start? I'm a bit concerned that at his age Steven may not have the self-discipline to sit at a piano for ages. If he really wants to have a go then he can but I'd like some sort of idea of what we're all getting into before we make that commitment for him. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't study piano until I was older--secondary instrument for me. However, I recommend beginning with piano for anyone wanting to learn music. You learn both treble and bass clef simultaneously--much easier in the long run.

Talk to his teacher and see what the curriculum is. Let him/her know about your concerns, particularly as they relate to Steven's age and attention span. He/she should be able to adapt the curriculum to Steven's needs at this point--although Steven would be the one doing the adapting if he became serious about it.

There needs to be some fun in the lessons and practice time to keep him interested. It's also good discipline, although you'll want to keep the practice sessions just long enough to extend his attention span a bit.

At this point in time, you want to foster Steven's curiosity about the piano and hopefully channel it into a life-long enjoyment of all kinds of music--whether or not he chooses to continue playing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thomas has been playing piano for 6 months now and sat his grade 1 exam last week - his lessions were 12.50 for 1/2 qn hour and now th chap wants him for an hour a week! - Piano had to be bought pretty early on as well.

You know him better than anyone - I think our 2 were too young at 5 - Thomas started doing violin about then. I always swore to myself that if they showed any incliniation I would support them but upi don't wanta bad experience putting them off

See how useless I am - still glad I am back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Alysia took piano this year in school. She has actually done pretty well. I tried piano lessons when I was little but I just don't have the patience to learn notes and all that.

Do you have to sign up for a certain amount of lessons? Or can you just try it out to see if he likes it? I've heard if you can learn the piano, you can learn just about any instrument.

Here is Alysia at her piano recital last month

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 10729
    Steven's got the chance to start piano lessons in September - he'll be 5 and a half then. It's 13 a lesson which is a lot for us to find but he says he wants to have a go. Could this be a bit too young? And how much practise at home was needed right at the start? I'm a bit concerned that at his age Steven may not have the self-discipline to sit at a piano for ages. If he really wants to have a go then he can but I'd like some sort of idea of what we're all getting into before we make that commitment for him. :D
    I'd let him do it :) At 5 he should be old enough, plus it'll be such a good talent for him when he is older. I started learning clarinet at 6.

Josh
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taja, post: 10750
    Talk to his teacher and see what the curriculum is. Let him/her know about your concerns, particularly as they relate to Steven's age and attention span. He/she should be able to adapt the curriculum to Steven's needs at this point--although Steven would be the one doing the adapting if he became serious about it.

There needs to be some fun in the lessons and practice time to keep him interested. It's also good discipline, although you'll want to keep the practice sessions just long enough to extend his attention span a bit.
    I've checked out the teacher and she's grade 8 qualified with a teaching qualification on top of that. She's used to teaching children and puts the emphasis on learning through fun.

We have the option of signing up for just 5 lessons to see if he likes it which I'll think we'll do. He's very keen to have a go. We don't have a piano but we have a full size keyboard which would do for practise until his legs reach where the pedal would be on a piano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you, Dawn!

The keyboard has a different feel than an actual piano, but it's certainly adequate at this point!

Now, when he's playing Bach Two-Part Inventions, you'll seriously need to consider at least an upright!

Post Thanks / Like
    i can play on top of old smokey if that's any help

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris plays beautifully. Holly has been taking lessons for 4 years now. And since Holly plays, Jack wants to play. He's starting lessons this fall. He really tries hard at home, so we're letting him give it a try..
    Krista

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] But there's this one particular harbor..sheltered from the wind...where the children play on the shore each day and all are safe within...

Post Thanks / Like
    My sister played piano. I wanted to, but was handed the clarinet instead. :sigh; I played sax, too. My other sister played the flute. My brother didn't take music lessons.

My piano sister used to practice a minimum of one hour per day.

If his thumb and little (pinkie) finger can reach an octave then he should be ok. He won't get frustrated.

Music lessons are expensive, but I honestly think they give a child an important dimension to their life experience.

Oh, and my sister started out on a keyboard, too, only they were called electric pianos back then. It was missing an octave on each end. Once she progressed beyond chopsticks, the real piano came into play.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast