Thread: If a recipe calls for...

Post Thanks / Like
    ..."English Mustard" what should I be using? Powder? Prepared mustard?

Trying out a new recipe

Post Thanks / Like
    What does the recipe say?

Post Thanks / Like
    Becca you might be able to find a small jar of Coleman's mustard in a specialty shop or a Wegman's if you have any in CT. Coleman's also makes a powdered mustard.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends what it's in, what are u making?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is possibly the prepared mustard from a jar. When it calls for dry English mustard it usually states that.

Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, the recipe means, Coleman's English Mustard. You can replace it with dijon if you don't have Coleman's, or you can mix some dry mustard with water and a touch of white wine, or in a pinch, white wine vinegar until it is a smooth paste (mustard consistency).

It's just a purer taste of mustard than French's.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all!

Thanks so much for the advice, sorry I didn't have more of a chance to respond last night...I was in a rush trying to get things ready for company. We celebrated Jon's birthday last night with a few family and friends as we will be traveling on his "proper" birthday next week.

Anyway...this is what I made...we started with a lovely tray of olives (kalamata, bleu cheese stuffed, marinated) as well as some prosciutto and parmesan stuffed cherry peppers. Then we had this salad:

Scallops with Rocket and Pancetta
    Ingredients
    12 queen scallops
    2 small handfuls of rocket leaves (I used Arugula which I assume is comparable)
    50g pancetta cubes (HA! You should have seen Jon and I trying to do THIS math in the market! Not only did we have to convert the grams measurement, then we had to sort out the math for going from 2 servings to 10!)
    1 tsp english mustard (I did manage to find a jar of Colman's as suggested and it was perfect! They had both the powdered and the prepared, so on your suggestions I used prepared.)
    5 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to
    drizzle
    1 tsp lemon juice
    salt

Method
    1. In a bowl, add the mustard. Gradually whisk in 3 tbsp of olive oil and then whisk in the lemon juice.
    2. Place a small handful of rocket leaves in the centre of two plates. Drizzle over a little olive oil.
    3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan. Add the pancetta and fry until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and sprinkle the pancetta over the rocket leaves. Wipe the frying pan clean.I didn't wipe the pan clean, instead of adding more olive oil, I used a fraction of what was left in the pan to cook the scallops, I think it gave them a much nicer flavor)
    4. Add the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil to the frying pan and heat over a medium-high
    heat. Season the scallops with salt and then fry in the pan for 1-2 minutes on each side, until cooked through and golden.
    5. Surround the rocket leaves with the scallops and serve.

It was DELICIOUS!

For the main course, we had filet mignon steak with roasted potatoes and for dessert (because he prefers them to cake) I made chocolate ganache cupcakes.

And wine. Lots of wine.

OMG. YUMMY FOOD.

I will SOOOOOOOOOOO be back in the gym this morning though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 189354
    Hi all!

Thanks so much for the advice, sorry I didn't have more of a chance to respond last night...I was in a rush trying to get things ready for company. We celebrated Jon's birthday last night with a few family and friends as we will be traveling on his "proper" birthday next week.

Anyway...this is what I made...we started with a lovely tray of olives (kalamata, bleu cheese stuffed, marinated) as well as some prosciutto and parmesan stuffed cherry peppers. Then we had this salad:

Scallops with Rocket and Pancetta
    Ingredients
    12 queen scallops
    2 small handfuls of rocket leaves (I used Arugula which I assume is comparable)
    50g pancetta cubes (HA! You should have seen Jon and I trying to do THIS math in the market! Not only did we have to convert the grams measurement, then we had to sort out the math for going from 2 servings to 10!)
    1 tsp english mustard (I did manage to find a jar of Colman's as suggested and it was perfect! They had both the powdered and the prepared, so on your suggestions I used prepared.)
    5 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to
    drizzle
    1 tsp lemon juice
    salt

Method
    1. In a bowl, add the mustard. Gradually whisk in 3 tbsp of olive oil and then whisk in the lemon juice.
    2. Place a small handful of rocket leaves in the centre of two plates. Drizzle over a little olive oil.
    3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan. Add the pancetta and fry until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and sprinkle the pancetta over the rocket leaves. Wipe the frying pan clean.I didn't wipe the pan clean, instead of adding more olive oil, I used a fraction of what was left in the pan to cook the scallops, I think it gave them a much nicer flavor)
    4. Add the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil to the frying pan and heat over a medium-high
    heat. Season the scallops with salt and then fry in the pan for 1-2 minutes on each side, until cooked through and golden.
    5. Surround the rocket leaves with the scallops and serve.

It was DELICIOUS!

For the main course, we had filet mignon steak with roasted potatoes and for dessert (because he prefers them to cake) I made chocolate ganache cupcakes.

And wine. Lots of wine.

OMG. YUMMY FOOD.

I will SOOOOOOOOOOO be back in the gym this morning though!
    Our invitation must have been held up in the mail with all the snow we have gotten. LOL

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL!!! Indeed it was John, because you KNOW I would have LOVED to see you guys!!!