Thread: best camera with video

Post Thanks / Like
    for our next trip we would like to leave the camcorder at home. Are the new cameras which have video in them lready good enough to do without a camcorder? Do they use tapes somehow or memory cards?

if theyre good does anyone have any recommendations

Post Thanks / Like
    You have quite a few options really...

My Dad bought a 'flip HD' video recorder on saturday which is good for a few little videos here and there (It only holds 2hrs) and it's super small and easy to use It's small enough to carry around (only fractionally bigger than your average point and shoot) and shoots in HD- the picture quality is really good and it's really simple to use. You'd still have to carry around a separate camera for stills, but it's that small that it's not such a problem. One of the great things about it is that the software is stored on the camera's HDD, meaning that it can plug into any computer and you have a whole editing program to use, and it's really simple to upload to youtube. You can delete portions of video straight from the camera, too I just think perhaps 2hrs of video isn't long enough for a holiday to Florida, unless you took a laptop with you?

Flip Video Ultra High Definition Camcorder With 8GB: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I've yet to find a point and shoot that is really good enough to be used for videos as well, however the Canon D500 is a DSLR that shoots superb quality video!
    Here is an example shot of the videos it can produce;
    Nikon D500 Riverside Walk Video

It's a lot of money to spend... but when you consider the video quality, the quality of the pictures you get, and the fact you only have one camera to carry around, I'd say it's worth it I don't have one personally but have used one in Jessops and it was a very pleasant experience

Are you used to using a DSLR or a point and shoot camera?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a Flip. It's ok for quick videos around the house but I wouldn't want to try to use it a WDW. Here's why:
    1. No replaceable storage. You can't swap a memory card in or out. You've got to use your PC to offload the videos once you fill it up.
    2. Batteries aren't replaceable. You've got to recharge it via the USB dongle on it. Usually by plugging it into your PC/Mac.

Those are the main reasons. Like I said, it's great around the house but I wouldn't want to depend on it at WDW.

On our last trip to WDW (MNSSHP last year), I had pretty good luck with my little Canon D10. I bought it to have a easily portable point and shoot that was weather resistant. As a side benefit, it takes reasonable video. And it's got a battery and memory card that can be changed out on the fly. So... fill up a card with video, take it out and put another one in. Here's a short video I shot with it during the MNSSHP parade.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v-OwOGsQfVk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v-OwOGsQfVk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That was just free hand shooting around and over Slowhand's head.

If I'd know then how well the camera worked on video, I would have used it to take a whole lot more videos. Next time!

Tom (... this video stuff is kinda fun!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I reckon it'd be OK for the occasional on-ride video and some of the parade.... only of course if you had a laptop with you
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are looking for a DSLR - I have just bought the 500d andit produces HD video which is actually very impressive, much much better than I was expecting for a DSLR and actuially better than any camcorder I have previously owned as well

Post Thanks / Like
    a DSLR video will be better than a camcorder thats what our leader told me because of the superior sensor i think it was :D
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Canon T1i and it records BEAUTIFULLY in HD...I just keep a larger SD card handy for recording (usually a 4G).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 190867
    I have the Canon T1i and it records BEAUTIFULLY in HD...I just keep a larger SD card handy for recording (usually a 4G).
    thats the 500D over here becca....now im jealous of you two with that camera ;) mind you HD is totally no good to me as i dont have an HD tele
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah yes, 'nut...that's right...I still don't understand why they don't just call it the same thing across the board...silly people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 190910
    Ah yes, 'nut...that's right...I still don't understand why they don't just call it the same thing across the board...silly people.
    me neither becs, just makes it confusing
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008