Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Magic stuck at Castaway Cay overnight

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    My Laughin' Place
    Posts
    1,992
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was anyone following this this past weekend?

    Disney Magic Stuck In Bahamas - Central Florida News 13

    I was reading a ton of posts on another Disney site from people who were on this cruise and from ones that had to wait to board until Sunday when the Magic returned. Unfortunately some people decided to take their frustration out on the cruise staff for something they have no control over.

    It sounded like disembarkation was pretty bad with customs and the fact that the Magic had to use a different terminal since the Wonder was already in port.










    WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002


    Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

  2. #2
    Senior Member uscwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    8,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess if I were on the outgoing cruise I would be more upset than the incoming, but I don't know for sure. When you plan a cruise it normally, at least for us, takes time, and you are really looking forward to it. Then to have it delayed like this is so discouraging. However, for those who didn't get back to port to make their flights there is another problem that needs to be taken care of. One of the hazards of nature and travel I guess.





    My Facebook Profile: Facebook

    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix



  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    My Laughin' Place
    Posts
    1,992
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 190827
    I guess if I were on the outgoing cruise I would be more upset than the incoming, but I don't know for sure. When you plan a cruise it normally, at least for us, takes time, and you are really looking forward to it. Then to have it delayed like this is so discouraging. However, for those who didn't get back to port to make their flights there is another problem that needs to be taken care of. One of the hazards of nature and travel I guess.
    A good example to purchase the travel insurance.

    From what I have read, the passengers who were going to be shorted a day of their cruise received transport back to Epcot for free admission and a $35 per person meal voucher. They also provided accomidations for that evening and travel back to PC. I believe they were also to receive an OBC.

    As a Florida resident we would have enjoyed an additional day onboard since we would not have had to worry about and other travel arrangements. Disney was allowing passengers to use the phones at guest services and the excursion desk to make/change flights, etc. They also allowed, at certain times, people to use the ships cell phones. I also read they were allowing free internet access as well for people to make travel changes.

    Part of the problem with leaving CC was that the ship pulled in instead of backing in because they had to repair one of the forward gang planks. Having to try and back out of CC in the bad weather they just didn't have enough power to get turned around. If they would have backed in as they usually do then there wouldn't have been as much of a problem leaving. I guess they made two attempts that were aborted before the third try was successful.

    Apparently the starboard side of the ship took a lot of cosmetic damage during the storm from constantly hitting the dock.

    Of course all of this is based on other posts from people on the ship.










    WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002


    Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Staffordshire U.K.
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFreak, post: 190829
    Part of the problem with leaving CC was that the ship pulled in instead of backing in because they had to repair one of the forward gang planks. Having to try and back out of CC in the bad weather they just didn't have enough power to get turned around. If they would have backed in as they usually do then there wouldn't have been as much of a problem leaving. I guess they made two attempts that were aborted before the third try was successful.
    After we docked at Castaway Cay on one of our cruises I asked one of the crew who had just finished manoevering the Magic why they sometimes reverse into dock and at other times they don`t.
    I was told that if there is any sign of bad weather, they always reverse into the dock at CC as it makes it easier to exit.
    Obviously in this case the weather prevented them from doing this.

    And there I thought it was for the benefit of the photographers from Shutters who could tempt you with a forward and an aft shot from the quayside on those cruises that stopped at CC twice on the cruise!





  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    My Laughin' Place
    Posts
    1,992
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a photo I borrowed from Sunday showing the Magic docked at the casino ships dock in PC with the Wonder coming along port side. I guess they had a "horn off" while passing.











    WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002


    Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had friends on this cruise, they missed their return flight and it was a big mess, they had to spend another night in Florida and come home the next morning, they didn't enjoy their extra long time on the ship worrying about getting back.
    Kathy, disney loving mom of 3

  7. #7
    Administrator keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,977
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathmandu, post: 190877
    I had friends on this cruise, they missed their return flight and it was a big mess, they had to spend another night in Florida and come home the next morning, they didn't enjoy their extra long time on the ship worrying about getting back.
    argh how awful I hope they got back ok in the end
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com









  8. #8
    Administrator Tink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    15 minutes (or so) North of WDW
    Posts
    28,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone we know was onboard too, and said that the swells were so high, that while docked at Castaway Cay, the ship snapped two of the mooring sheets!






    Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    2,629
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know it's inconvienient but safety does and should come first. Something far worse could have happened.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 190904
    Someone we know was onboard too, and said that the swells were so high, that while docked at Castaway Cay, the ship snapped two of the mooring sheets!
    Yes, she said she couldn't even enjoy being out on the decks for the incessent wind, strollers were blowing over and you couldn't eat outside, buns went flying off your plate.
    Kathy, disney loving mom of 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •