Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what you think is a good age to take kids

Post Thanks / Like
    on a Disney cruise?

I mean... old enough to enjoy the activities on board, as well as some of the tours at different ports of call...

A friend of mine wants to take her 3 and 1 year old... and I honestly told her I thought they were too young to enjoy it enough... but maybe Im wrong---

I would think around 6-8 years old ... but again, I might be totally wrong.

So.. Im asking the experts

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I would think 10 and older for a cruise, but hey, that's just me.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah.. 10 sounds good, then again Im not sure how much in love they will be with characters at 10.. hopefully head over heels though hahaha

Another thing to take into account, for us, is the language barrier... I do my best to teach Tatiana English, and she only watches TV and movies in English... but she lives in a Spanish speaking country, so I wouldnt want to do it before she can
    1. understand and enjoy the kids club, character interaction, shows
    2. understand and follow directions to keep her safe... specially on a boat...

but thats a different subject all together I guess... hahaha

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good point Mari.

I also tend to think about what they will receive from the trip...visiting ports and truly enjoying the cruise itself. Cruises are not just rides and characters.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think 4 or 5 and up. Disney does a absolutely fantastic job of taking care of the kiddies.

On our last cruise, we met a family during lunch when we first got onboard who had their little 4 year old daughter with them. She was very shy and wanted daddy to hold her all the time. They were very concerned with how she'd adapt to the cruise. But since they were already on the ship, it was kind a mute point. Anyway, later on in the cruise, we happened to run into mom and dad one evening in Rockin' Bar D. We asked them how their daughter was doing on the cruise since she'd been so shy. They said they were amazed. She was having the time of her life! They couldn't get her out of the Oceaneer Club.

On our first cruise, our dinner table mates had a little two year old with them. He was having a blast also.

The bottom line is I think Disney is able to accomodate kids of almost any age. But you're probably better off taking them at a time in their lives when they'll most remember the Magic.

Tom (... wish my kids were still little enough to take!)

Post Thanks / Like
    My 8 year old nephew and 5 year old (almost 6) niece was part of our group on this last cruise and they had a blast!! They LOVED the Oceaneer Club/Lab!! Most of the time we couldn't get them to leave. I would say 4 and older is a good age for a Disney cruise.

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 191197
    Tom (... wish my kids were still little enough to take!)
    Tom, you can adopt me and take me along!!!

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mari, how did you learn English so well? I think the perfect age for a cruise is the age parents are ok with leaving them in the age appropriate activities alone so that they too can enjoy the cruise!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is one of those situations where it totally depends upon the child, eh? One will do fine at two and one won't be ready until older.

The little one (turned three onboard) that went with us seemed to have a nice time, but she's so clinically shy (and that's exacerbated by her mother) that it was difficult to tell if she was really having fun or not. I can't say the cruise was "wasted" on her, but I can't say that she had a rollicking good time either.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkfan, post: 191244
    Mari, how did you learn English so well? I think the perfect age for a cruise is the age parents are ok with leaving them in the age appropriate activities alone so that they too can enjoy the cruise!

Thanks... you have actually heard me trying to speak though.... hahahaha

I totally agree, I dont think I would feel at ease leaving her "on her own" before maybe 6 or 7.... but maybe Im just over protective...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast