Thread: Mad hatter

Post Thanks / Like
    In riverfront Savannah, GA now.
    Went to the Disney Resort @ Hilton Head island yesterday but didn't get a pic.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    What a COOL place that looks to be!!! Did you go inside?

Post Thanks / Like
    NEAT!

How did you like HHI? That's one place we keep trying to get to and never seem to make it.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never been there or that area. Looks cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    HAHA! I did not got in the Mad Hatter, just took a pic. I love Savannah. I highly recommend everyone visit at least once. Maybe not with kids.

The reason I was in HHI was for work. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Oceanside which I would stay at again.

HHI is extremely walkable (if you don't stay in one of the gated resort areas. There are biking/walking trails all over the island. There is also horseback riding, kayaking, fishing, and of course the beach.

The Disney Resort was pretty neat. Very Disneyish and made to look like a summer camp with amenities such as fishing pole rental (they have a pier over Broad Creek to fish in), campfire area, hammocks, shuffleboard, a big pool & hot tubs, etc. The buildings are elevated ~5 feet off the ground and look kind of like really large cabins. There is a shuttle that takes guests over to their private beach area. It would be a nice little getaway for families that are into golfing and eco-tourism.
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info!

I really think I'd like to visit Savannah one day. We came close once, but were driving a big truck (moving Herself's Aunt's things to FL for her) and we didn't want to try and manuever it in downtown Savannah. As a result we found the BEST restaurant in Darien, Georgia. Skipper's Fish Camp. YUHHHHHUHHHHUUUUUUMMMMY! :9:

Why not kids in Savannah? Just curious that you would say that?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 194302

Why not kids in Savannah? Just curious that you would say that?

Well, I can't recall ever seeing a kid there, to be honest. I'm sure there are plenty of things to keep a kid occupied: historic tours, movie tours (see where Forrest Gump's bench is), old timey candy shops on the Riverwalk, boat rides out in the Savannah River, Juliette Gordon Low's birthplace (founder of the Girl Scouts), Tybee Island, etc.

In my opinion, I just view it as a romantic-type town. The scenery, the walkability of the historic district, shopping, fine dining, arts & architecture, etc. I went with friends once and we went on a "Ghost Tour". It was so fun and educational. The guide walked us around some of the old squares and to the big cemetary and told us stories of some of the "haunted" places. Lots of Civil War history. Also lots of pirate history.

I love Savannah. I still need to eat at the Lady & Sons (Paula Deen's place)! I also want to stay at the Bohemian Hotel on the Riverwalk. I also still need to make it out to the Bonaventure Cemetary where they filmed "Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil."
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh gosh, I loved that book. Never saw the movie.

We were headed to Paula Deen's when we decided to not bring the truck into the city and then found Skipper's Fish Camp. Since then I've learned that Paula's isn't all that.

Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Fantastic mini trip report, Gwennie!! Jon has wanted to visit HHI for some time and I've always sort of "evaded" it without really saying "no" but I think you've just convinced me that I might enjoy it!!

Excellent review!