Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with a dilemma

Post Thanks / Like
    Its long winded i am afraid.

As some are aware Beth is now an adult and will be leaving children's respite for adult respite. We finally found a respite home for her and were told the children's respite would transition her over the year. Beth is very nervous of new situations and takes a long time to trust. The children's respite told us we had two weeks and to book a week away for what would be our last chance of time away (adult service do not offer day respite during the week) so we booked to go to New York.
    Today i phone them about something completely different to be told Beth needs to be in adult services by April or we would lose the bed. To start with this is way to soon as she has not even gone there for dinner let alone stay there within the next month. They said they would not be able to cover our holiday. The team leader from children's respite said she has managed to get them to agree to her going there for the week, which is great but i have since heard they are not sure they will have funding come April. I would not normally worry about this but a few young adults have left recently and they have not offered the bed to anyone else. Once Beth and another lad leave they will be down to 5 children so i can see it happening.
    My dilemma is do i pay for the holiday in April when its due and hope for the best or cut my loses now and cancel just losing the deposit. I am guessing social services would not refund what we lose or the travel insurance. We can not go sooner due to dh being way to busy in work. Dh is no help what so ever

Post Thanks / Like
    Boy that is terrible, if you could get it in writing that they will take her then I would go and pay for it. What change does this all entail for Beth? Is there no merging process that is done to make the transition easier then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkfan, post: 193869
    Boy that is terrible, if you could get it in writing that they will take her then I would go and pay for it. What change does this all entail for Beth? Is there no merging process that is done to make the transition easier then?
    I have asked for it in writing and the team leader of children's respite as said she will ask for it for herself and blind copy me, so guessing if she asked for me they would say no.
    This means beth will need to get use to a whole group of different carers, in a different building very quickly. They normally takes several months with different visits. They start with just popping in for a cup of tea, staying for dinner and then going for evenings out and finally a few nights stay. They normally use staff she knows to take her and stay until everyone is happy that Beth has settled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there no other respite home that you can work with?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 193924
    Is there no other respite home that you can work with?
    Sadly no. I am wondering if they will take her now any how as they do not use Gastrostomy tubes which Beth has. The social worker seems to have forgotten to give this info to them

I think we are going to take a few weeks as it does not have to be paid till April and make our minds up then.

Post Thanks / Like
    oh Michelle, you always have to battle with 'them' - you must be so worn out

as you say, the holiday doesn't have to be paid yet so step back a minute and breathe

Post Thanks / Like
    Good grief. Sounds like you have a social worker who needs to up her game. We have to deal with poorly informed social workers "over here" too, and it drives me bonkers. I end up having to teach outside agencies their jobs.

Perhaps you need to have a new social worker assigned to you!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Good grief. So now where does that leave you if this new place doesn't accept patients with gastronomy tubes? Can't believe you are being tossed around like this.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    oh.... this is complicated...

if it were me, I would cancel... I like to have EVERYTHING in place... but thats just me....

Post Thanks / Like
    if you waited until you have to pay the full amount and then had to cancel would your travel insurance cover this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast