Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: school have asked...

Post Thanks / Like
    ...that I take Steven to his doctor and ask for a referral to be assessed on the Autistic Spectrum Disorder. They are linking his behavioral traits to Aspergers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is upsetting to you. But there are tons of very successful people who I dare say have Asperger's. Bill Gates actually comes to mind......

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not Steve Jobs I hope.

I'm not overly concerned. I guess if he does have issues then the earlier it's diagnosed the better. The parent in me wants to go in denial though. I honestly suspect a lot of his behavior is down to boredom as he is on the school Gifted and Talented register for all subjects.

We'll see. First I have to get a non-urgent appointment at our doctors.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm certainly no expert on this kind of thing but I can try and help you with any questions you might have. Just give me a shout any time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I think my dad could be diagnosed with Asperger's. He's very intelligent and has been successful yada yada yada. But he truly has atrocious manners and just blurts out what he's thinking regardless of whomever's feelings he might hurt. And he never seems to understand why people are upset with him.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    You're a good mom, Dawn...it's obvious from what you've said that you have Steven's very best interests at heart. Regardless of the outcome, he's a lucky little man to have you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thing is, you look at Aspergers traits and he ticks a lot of the boxes. We need to establish whether it is Aspergers or whether it's just his way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aspergers also = being a boy! seriously the spectrum is so wide it includes nearly every male I know

Matthews teacher last year took us aside at parents evening saying how worried she was and said we needed occupational therapy and a referral - we went through hell tears and all sorts - this year the teacher has said she is happy - apart from his writing and we should cancel - the appointment for occ health still hasn't come through.

Dawn, Steven is a lovely intelligent boy who WILL do great things in life ; I absolutely hate the labelling of children - classroom seem to like quiet children wh are non challenging both behaviourally and intellectually and anyone outside of that remit must have a problem that needs addressing - which is patently not true.

He is an awesome boy with awesome parents - he will do spectacular things in his life

Post Thanks / Like
    oh yes, the teachers want babysitters for the kids. I swear around here there are at least half the kids in classes who are on some sort of ADD/ADHD medication. Some DO need it but not most. Most are just being kids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 194171
    Aspergers also = being a boy! seriously the spectrum is so wide it includes nearly every male I know

Matthews teacher last year took us aside at parents evening saying how worried she was and said we needed occupational therapy and a referral - we went through hell tears and all sorts - this year the teacher has said she is happy - apart from his writing and we should cancel - the appointment for occ health still hasn't come through.

Dawn, Steven is a lovely intelligent boy who WILL do great things in life ; I absolutely hate the labelling of children - classroom seem to like quiet children wh are non challenging both behaviourally and intellectually and anyone outside of that remit must have a problem that needs addressing - which is patently not true.

He is an awesome boy with awesome parents - he will do spectacular things in his life
    I agree with everything Chris said....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast