Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: school have asked...

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the doc! It's become an convenient label. Most boys and girls have different learning patterns ( between the genders I mean) Most 6 year olds have the attention span of a gnat unless they're engaged in something they happen to love, you toss in an exceptionally bright child in the mix and there goes the standard curve again! Steven sounds like he is able to converse on a wide variety of topics that might not interest the typical 6 year old. Go with your gut instincts Dawn.

Post Thanks / Like
    He's so good at maths and so good at explaining things that they actually use him as a teacher during maths lessons to help the less able.

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds familiar

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure hun its more down to how bright and talented he is, i am guessing he possibly gets bored with subjects he finds very easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    So long as he has you and Adrian- he will do amazing things in life. With or without a 'label'.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    They are going to label all of us one day. Don't worry about it.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 194171
    Aspergers also = being a boy! seriously the spectrum is so wide it includes nearly every male I know
    I shouldnt laugh I know it's serious but oh how very true that is really do agree

He is an awesome boy with awesome parents - he will do spectacular things in his life
    couldn't agree more
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    It didn't used to be like that, now there's a label for everything. Kids could just be terrible in a subject area,solution -work harder!!LOL. Boys were boys and some things were just considered boyish pranks, now everything is deviant behavior. Every few years they label something else and it becomes the favorite catch all. I don't mean to say that these conditions don't exist, they do, and when needed the proper medication can make all the difference in the world. I've sat at many meetings for 501 plans and constructed many. Everyone has ADHD or is a possible canditate for Ashbergers Syndrome! I don't know how we function LOL!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not going to say much, as this is a huge issue with me. However, I will say this. He has enough skills to be doing that well in school? No label necessary.

Social skills iffy? Uh huh. Who's freaking aren't at that age?

Sorry Dawn. I give you my word I know how much you are devoted to this child. But this just feels all wrong with me.

Hell, we could all be diagnosed as something. Homosexuality was considered a mental illness in the DSM not too many years ago. Yes, in my lifetime.

Bah. Labels. I loathe, hate and despise, labels.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with a lot of what has been said here and in many cases people are very quick to apply a label where none is needed but i will say on the flip side for us a label was a godsend and opened up so much more help and understanding.

Dawn have you considered deferring what the school have requested until Stephen is a little older and may have naturally lost any traits that are causing them concern?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast