Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: school have asked...

Post Thanks / Like
    Fully agree with this, too early!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 26 and sometimes "lack social skills and graces"!
    I'm pretty sure DGF has AD(H)D. She just can't sit still. EVER.

I read your FB post, and did wonder whether this was due to better detection skills amongst teachers etc, or whether it was just society's desire to put a label on everything. If the teacher has to slow her lesson down so that the non clever kids can keep up, why not label the majority, not the minority?

Whilst I would appreciate the effort going into diagnosing this apparent 'non issue', I would also question what the teacher is doing as far as planning for his needs (and the brighter kids in general). The amount of planning Louise has to do for the few children in her class that are light years ahead of the others (and would probably tick the same boxes as Steven) is very suprising. Could you suggest the school get a lead teacher in for a day to help his current teacher understand his needs better, and help with her planning?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can see what you are all saying but...

I honestly think Steven is like Thomas - but without the domino obsession (yet) - and will gradually become calmer and more social.

However - there is a boy in my class at school that has real problems and I see a lot of his behavioral traits in Steven. This boy cannot cope with situations that most of us consider everyday.

Now. If, and I mean a big IF, there is a problem with Steven, then I'd rather get help for him earlier rather than wait until he becomes the emotional wreck that rampages through my classroom every day.

I think that made sense.

Oh and Mark, his teacher is fabulous and does lots of extra work with him. And they get sent on extra courses with other gifted children so I have no issues with that side.

I went on a school trip today with 30 children. At some point during the day I could have labelled each one of them with Aspergers.

It's very confusing.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know there is a point when children should just be allowed to be children. They all struggle with things at certain points. IT'S OKAY.

Good luck to you hon. Steven is a handsome, intelligent, kind boy. He'll find his way.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Now. If, and I mean a big IF, there is a problem with Steven, then I'd rather get help for him earlier rather than wait until he becomes the emotional wreck that rampages through my classroom every day.
    I agree totally Dawn, it's the old better safe than sorry thing.

How long will it take for you to get him an appointment for an evaluation?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123