Thread: puppy farms!

Post Thanks / Like
    i can't believe that we allow them in this country! just saw an article on the one show- it's disgusting!

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't see the documentary but have researched a fair bit about them and it makes me sick :(
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    its terrible. when we bought our cavalier king charles we got her locally and spent twice the amount for her. we saw both her parents, who were both pets as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Josh, I have researched a bit about this and it makes me sick. I do some work with dog rescues who try to work to stop this - I know the Dog's Trust are starting a campaign - they are calling it Battery Farming. like that of chickens, and it is really. Unfortunately it is a lot more common than people think, and a lot of the time people don't know they are getting puppies that were bred this way as they can seem "official". Sometimes the sellers even have a set of "parents" that can be seen, amd fake the papers :(

Post Thanks / Like
    The behavioral problems that these puppies have are astounding- you wouldn't believe it :( They are often raised away from their mums so that she can have another litter sooner and dogs just don't act like dogs when they are risen in this day :(
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    i've heard that a puppy bought on these conditions can turn out quite mad! then they will be sent to the dogs home or just abandoned. very sad.

Post Thanks / Like
    so why haven't we done anythign about it? Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's campaign changed my chicken/egg eating habits for life and i know a lot of others too. Surely with cute puppies people would be more keen to stop this practice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think there is *loads* that can be done. Most of the info about puppy farms is out there now available for people who are buying puppies to see- they just have to make the right choices when buying (Which is terrible)

You'd be shocked about how many animals come from similar conditions. 99.9% of petshop torts are claimed to be 'captive bred' when infact they are brought from farms in slovenia where the farmers harbour loads of wild tortoises, keep their eggs, the subsequent hatchlings and then ship them over in their masses for the UK pet trade They also take small tortoises from the wild and pass them off as bred at the sanctuary. This is the truth for LOADS of reptiles you see in pet stores. Most other reptiles are readily available at petstores that are actually captive bred as they are bred much more readily and are prolific breeders.

Sorry to take this off topic!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    no worries Josh, i didn't know whether i should bring it up or not but I just can't believe people can do that. Money talks huh?

I think the reason why it particularly struck a chord is that everyone is discussing about ethics of Sea world/DC yet we still have animals being mistreated like this.