Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: STRESSED OUT!

Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously having a bit of a major stress regarding uni at the minute!!

Basically I have 4 choices (I declined one as I visited the open day and seriously hated it)

De Montford (Leicester)
    Goldsmiths (London)
    Liverpool John Moores
    Leeds Trinity

Out of those, the only one I actually *want* to go to is Goldsmiths. However, the entry grades are really high (ABB), the cost of living in London would be HUGE. I'm not entitled to any grants for maintenance and I get the basic rate, which is 82% of the maintenance loan. (The last 18% is means tested on a sliding scale, and I'm not entitled to get it.)

It is done means-tested so depending on how much/little your household income is, depends on how much/little you get to go to university. My parents income means that I don't get even the smallest bit of help from the government, however, they can obviously not afford to pay for my rent, food etc whilst I'm uni.

So, basically, to cut a long-story short, I doubt I can afford to go to Goldsmiths even if I did get the entrance grades. There is always the possibility of a part-time job, however it's the most work-intensive of all the courses I've chosen, and even if I worked around 20 hours a week at minimum wage, I doubt I'd be able to afford it.

I'm visiting LJMU tomorrow so hopefully I like it enough to put it as my '2nd/insurance choice'. If I don't then I'm at a loss for what I'm going to do!! I don't like any of the other universities I've chosen and I'm in such a rut.

I researched them as much as I could without visiting before putting them down as my choices and really thought they would suit me- when I visited they really didn't

Sorry for the rant. Needed to vent
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    oh Josh don't know what to say mate. I'm sure wherever you go will give you the greatest start to your career.

You know we're always here for you to rant to

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel for you Josh. My son is in a pickle at the moment. He is the youngest of four and to cut a long story short has struggled all his life at school. He works hard and doesnt expect to get very high grades. He has at long last got offers from Leicester, Birmingham and Oxford Brookes but he wont get the grades.
    However his friend with 7A*s and 6As has only one offer and 5 rejections - unbelievable!! If it wasnt hard enough getting offers this year then there is the worry as you say of affording university. My other three all went to northern unis (Leeds, Nottingham and Sheffield) so the cost of living wasnt so bad. They did struggle financially and I tried hard to support them but they wouldnt have missed the experience for the world. I only hope that your parents can make that contribution and get you to where you want to go. I hope too that you get the grades. My friend's dd has just finished at UC London and lived in halls first year. She found that when she rented accommodation in her last 2 years that she wasnt paying any more than she would have where her brother was (Leeds) - there were 6 of them. I hope that you can somehow live your dream. Good luck with your grades and with your choices.

Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys The rent bit is what worried me. In the 1st year I'll be in halls and the rent is cheaper than some places up north! However, it's just the general cost of transport etc in my 2nd year that worries me.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    what course are you doing Josh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Media and Communications :)
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    i take it its the one in lewisham josh?....have you got any figures at all for how much the rent will cost in the second year josh. im not sure but it MAY be cheaper than other parts of london.

whatever you decide where you go i wish you good luck.

we had all this last year with mikey.
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing to add but maybe something to make you feel better...Stressed is just Desserts spelled backwards...have a piece of cake...

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoAlice, post: 195684
    Nothing to add but maybe something to make you feel better...Stressed is just Desserts spelled backwards...have a piece of cake...
    trust you to see that sarah
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    OK the first thing I would do is contact the Admissions office at Goldsmiths and tell them that they are your first choice but you are very concerned about the financial aspect of studying there. They can go through all the options with you and help you make an informed decision.

If you can get through the first year then a summer job will help with costs of second year, etc, etc.

Oh and wherever you end up going, expect to leave uni with large debts. It's the way it is for all students.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast