Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 23931
    im just going to email dan[watchingherskip] as he works in this field
    Hey Mick,
    In the better late than never catagory, I am finally here with you. I think I sent an email response to you but I am a fan of the Schmidt - Cassagrains. We just got this scope:

Clestron NexStar 6 SE.
    http://www.celestron.com/c2/product....=13&ProdID=415

We got it for just under $1000 USD. Not sure what you could get it or a similar one in the UK for with the exchange rate being what it is. Guess you could get it here on your next visit and pay to have it sent home with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a minefield though as I have said before - no one scope will be perfect for all your needs and you need to decide 1st off if you want a goto mount or want to find things yourself. After than you need to decide on whether you want to image or not as this will deterimine whether you go equatorial or Alt Az and then you need to decide on the targets you want to grab.

Each type of scope ( refractor , reflector or SCT/mak etc) has its own drawbacks and advantages

Over all this is budget

The longest threads on any astronomy forum are about which scope to get and for good reason

There really is no perfect scope - I would seriously seriosly think about looking through some before you invest -

Post Thanks / Like
    Very true Chris. We had an 8 inch Dobsonian donated to the museum. Collumation is always an issue. The SC's don't seem to need the same amount of attention. We also had a few nice Orion and Meade refractors donated too. They are nice in their own right. I can only liken it to my paddling websites. Whitewater boats come in all differnt catagories and their is always debate on volume, length, angle of chines etc. Goes on and on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 43081
    Hey Mick,
    In the better late than never catagory, I am finally here with you. I think I sent an email response to you but I am a fan of the Schmidt - Cassagrains. We just got this scope:

Clestron NexStar 6 SE.
    http://www.celestron.com/c2/product....=13&ProdID=415

We got it for just under $1000 USD. Not sure what you could get it or a similar one in the UK for with the exchange rate being what it is. Guess you could get it here on your next visit and pay to have it sent home with you.
    yes you did say you would join as soon as you finished your degree in something was it ?

i think a goto mount would be best, if that means it finds stuff for you lolbut i suspect they are more expensive.......do you need a special mount for the camera too?...wow i havent a clue which to choose now,. reflecor, refractor....some one explain the difference please :D
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Dr. Chris has spent a lot of time in his selection process, and I do believe he has a link to pick the best scope option for you. In a nutshell, optical telescopes are divided into refractor (lens gathers light), reflecting (curved mirror gathers light) and sort of hyprid (lens and mirrors used). Generally you can make a better mirror than and lens at a lower cost. The objective lens on refracting telescopes, the one furthes away from your eye is curved to collect the light and focus it down the tube to the eyepiece. Large telescopes are limited in the size of the objective as the weight would be difficult to support. The larger the objective the more light in theory it should gather. Mirrors are supported at the base of the tube and have more support for a larger size. For lack of a better term a hybrid scope can have some sort of lens at the objective and a mirror at the base so you can make it more compact. Our tele has that set up. We have an 8 in reflector. The problem is they tend to be larger tubes to go with the larger mirror, and they need to be aligned or collumated just about every time you use it. Ours is a point and look scope, made to be low price. It has a Dobsonian mount, basically a wood cradle with friction pads. The fist "Dob" scope was made by a monk or something with a vow of poverty. He wanted a scope but didn't want to give up his poverty vow, so he made it with scraps of wood and ground his own mirror. Oh the depravity!:shocked025:

I think for the masses a go to scope is pretty cool and easy. Once you get it out for viewing you will most likely have to align it. Easily done as the brains are in the control. Ours requires you to locate 3 bright stars in the center of the view. It figures out where you are by comparing the angle to the stars with the known catalog and using the local time. Then you can use the go to button to find deep space objects, planets or in some cases, a tour of the night sky.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow thx dan will have to have a look at the goto's then, will als have to weigh up if i get enough clears skies to actually use the thing first lol
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah think I want a goto one as well
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast