Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Orlando beach?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gwennie81, post: 199402
    Daytona Beach. But just because I live here. HA!
    Is there ever a 'quiet' time to visit Daytona Beach?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Isafari, post: 199622
    Is there ever a 'quiet' time to visit Daytona Beach?
    It's pretty quiet most of the year. The "bad" times are Feb-April (race weeks, bike week, and spring break), the 4th of July weekend, and during Biketoberfest in October.

If you decide to stay, I would recommend Tropical Manor or Palm Plaza. My family has stayed at both and both were decent, economical, and directly on the beach.

Beware if you decide to visit. We allow beach driving and unfortunately inattentive drivers and people excited to be in the ocean are a bad combo. Just look both ways before crossing to the ocean and hold onto your children at all times! There are parts of the beach which are restricted from vehicles. I would recommend maybe visiting these sections if you have small children. You can probably view a map of the beach on the Daytona Visitor and convention website.

The part of the beach I visit is actually all the way down at the end of Ponce Inlet. It's about 7 miles south of Dunlawton. You go through Ponce Inlet and take a left on Beach St. and you're on the beach! It's quieter down there, the waves are a little higher, you can walk out on the Jetty, visit the lighthouse, watch the surfers, and there are a few restaurants (within driving distance). If you continue on through the county park, there is a dog friendly beach that my friends take their dogs to. The Jetty/Ponce Inlet beach is also a good viewing point for shuttle launches!
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    Know this too, about driving on the beach. It wreaks havoc on the underside of your car! Sand and car joints are not good friends!

There are any number of reports about people being run over too.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    #1, If you're driving a rental car, who cares?
    #2, If you're driving your own car, I just hose off the underneath of the Jeep when I get home.
    #3, It's really rare that anyone gets run over on the beach. Yes, we did have a tragedy a couple weeks ago, but it was the first actual fatality since like, 1992.
    #4, Lay out either directly in front or in back of your car, not to the side. When you set up on the side of your car, anyone pulling in will NOT be able to see you.
    #5, Just be aware. Be aware of where your kids are. Be aware when you cross from your beach chair to the ocean. Be aware when you are driving on the beach.
    #6, There are areas of the beach that are restricted from cars. Go down to Wilbur By The Sea (between Daytona Beach Shores and Ponce Inlet) if you don't want to deal with on-beach vehicles.
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I didn't mean run over and killed, I mean simply run over... injured, but survived.

There was just a report on someone who had their legs run over. The sand was what saved them greater injury (depresses)...

It's not so much the washing off of the sand, rather that the sand gets into cv joints, ball joint housings, brake shoes, ect and wears on them.

It's also a mess to vacuum!

True, if it's a rental it's not something you are going to have to live with, but I'm one of those freaks who prefers to return my rental clean (usually cleaner than when I picked it up).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12