Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok - how to use a macro lens please ( plus 2 of the boys before their concert last night)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok proud owner of the Canon 100mm Macro now and again haven't had long to experiment but am very interested for everyones tips - need to use a fast shutter speed to prevent blur but focussing seems a night mare and at f2.8 the depth of field is wicked shallow - looks like I'll have to start learning how to shoot in manual

Plus the sun only cam out for about 5 minutes yesterday

Was working yesterday then spent the whole rest of the day ferrying kids to the concert - they both did us proud and performed in front of 300 or more people- Matthew did 3 Jazz pieces and Thomas s now 1st Violin to the String orchestra and they did Pirates of the Caribbean - It was great

Today haven't had a chance as have been to Bluewater then celebrating my team winning the least prestigious cup in football ;)

Ok the macros - advice please

Rusty plant holder

First spring buds - 1st one the depth of field made it really hard to get any real idea of the bud

A little better

I love eyes

Thomas' the focus was on the lash beds and didn't then get the cilliary muscles properly ! I never thought the DoF would be that shallow!!

Matthews was a little better

Pointless drip

Gratuitous proud parent moments :D

So advice - do I really need to be shooting in better light with a tripod and longer exposures with a smaller aperture

Also I have to drop the brightness on all my photos so whatever I'm doing I seem to be getting shots that are always over exposed

All part of the learning I suppose

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I wish I could help but....

I have started to use this website...thought you might like to have a look..

Digital Photography Tips: Digital Photography School

Post Thanks / Like
    I think what you're getting already is spot on but you've instantly found the macro dilemma, DoF.

This is why you're rarely if ever see a magazine article on macro photography with hand held. You'll always see them on a tripod for the reason you state, you need a small aperture and therefore a longer exposure to get increased DoF.

The other thing you can do is up the ISO on your camera which will give you more light sensitivity but again, it's a tradeoff! Too far and you'll get too much noise.

It's hard to offer much advice because I think the major thing is tripod! but I would suggest a uniform background for the out of focus areas. If you look at the bud shots, if you could find a solid background colour, a compliementary colour preferably, that's what tends to make those shots award winning.

I love macro photography. You can do it inside when it's raining outside and it's great for experimentation but it does definitely take practice.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Lovely!

I so enjoy the eye photos!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I like the ties! :D :D

I still cannot believe how grown up Thomas looks.

Beautiful boys, Da!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done to the boys.

It gives you a warm fuzzy glow being a proud parent, doesn't it?

Please warn me if there are going to be eyes......
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    will do don't you love eyes then Di? I think they are absolutely beautiful things

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 199184
    will do don't you love eyes then Di?
    Just another one of my multitudinous phobias.
    I do love my own eyes though.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    well I'd need to see a photo of those :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 199191
    well I'd need to see a photo of those :D
    You're just trying to trick me into blinding myself with camera flash, aren't you. :D
    [CENTER]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast