Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoo-hoo...Skywatcher

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a quick question. So the moon was brightly shining down on me in the middle of the night from my bedroom, and since I was then obviously awake, I got to thinking.

Do you have any pictures of the moon? Nice and close? I would love to see them.

Just curious?

Post Thanks / Like
    Your wish is my command. Not done any Lunar imaging for ages as the weather this last year has been terrible - bought a new camera just to do that 8 months ago and have only used it twice.

Here you go
    tis was a mosiac of several shots taken through my first scope with a webcam and then stitched together - it was published and I got the bug from then on

Digital SLR shot

Closer in

Bay of Rainbows

Copernicus

Clavius

A much bigger mosiac - its a shame but at full resolution this is about 6ft long - photobucket wouldn't upload at that though

The straight wall - a volcanic step)

Plato at dawn with the shadows creeping over the mountains ( my favourite crater )

and my last shot of plato and 1st and only go with the new camera - need to iron out some artefact bugs but for the first time some hint of the tiny little craterlets inside

that was more than you wanted wasn't it

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I still don't understand how you get such shots with a camera from the ground! it's just fantastic!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Chris, those are amazing! My Kindergarten class is studying the phases of the moon this week, would it be ok if we take a look at your photos on the smartboard?

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem - the best thing about the moon ( if the skies are clear) is that ecvery night you can see something new - the best time to see anything is basically anytime other than a new or full moon - a new moon - well there isn't one and a full moonbleaches out all the detail - the best place to look is along the 'terminator' which is where the sun is rising or setting - the shadows bring everything into stark relief - most of these are taken witha 20 webcambut nothing beats the old human eye 1.0 when you get the focus in on a still night the relief in the mountains and craters is just stunning

Post Thanks / Like
    To give you some idea of scale - plato the bottom crater is visible on the DSLR shot of the near full moon, its the small dark patch near the top at about 11 o'clock just above the large 'sea' ( its also just visible at the top of the long mosiac to help you orientate yourself

Post Thanks / Like
    wow totally amazing chris. i just love your astro photography
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm getting to the point when I really 'need' to get out and do some ,it always calms me down when the stresses of the day to day start to grind

Post Thanks / Like
    you must get some really clear night down there i mean without the city light pollution

you know i wish i had the money to buy some kit id need to do the same. first off a scope, then something to attach my 400D to it....any ideas on the cost seeing as ive now saved 500 on my new car :D
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    You could do it with that Mick TBH the top picture was taken with a 200 scope a 20 webcam and about 20 worth of accesories - to take photos you need a t ring for the 400d and a nosepiece which comes to about 40

but the list of how what and why could be a mile long - truth be told I'd get something and do some visual stuff first look at Saturns rings and Jupiter an his moons and th emoon then do imaging - my back garden is very light polluted I have 5 sodium lamps blazing right into it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast