Thread: Stupid iPhone question

Post Thanks / Like
    Going abroad with the iPhone for the first time. Clearly don't want to use anything that reqires Internet access as it costs do my apps that use 'my location' like some of the planetarium apps etc use 'data downloads' to locate you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 199360
    Going abroad with the iPhone for the first time. Clearly don't want to use anything that reqires Internet access as it costs do my apps that use 'my location' like some of the planetarium apps etc use 'data downloads' to locate you?
    Anything that says "use my location" will use a combination of cell tower access, GPS and data access to locate you. Now in theory if you leave "data roaming off" you should just get an error message if they try.

Now, how much do you want me to scare you here?
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    i've read some horror stories mainly involving teenagers and using data services abroad

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that's why I asked I will need the planetarium in Kenya so I will just have to suck it up then.

Presumably if I find a wifi spot I'm ok though?

Post Thanks / Like
    yep wifi spot fine

now my very own horror story.

So we go to Florida last May and I make ABSOLUTELY SURE data roaming is off. (I'm willing to accept my general ineptitude at many many things but computers/phones nah, I know what I'm doing. )

Now at home, I get several hundred emails a day. Texts too but many more emails so my phone is constantly going beep when an email arrives from any one of 10 different accounts. We get to Florida, I inspect all our phones (personal/business lines etc.) and make absolutely sure data is OFF on all of them.

On the way to the hotel I'm now suffering internet withdrawal (wish I was joking!) having been without it for so long. Orlando airport has freebie wifi as you know but its spotty and slow. So I gaze longily at the data roaming button, how much could it cost right? but I know it's like 25 a MB so I dont. I look at my email, nothing since Manchester so I KNOW it's not connected to a data network. Fine.

All holiday I'm wishing I could connect so I could send emails/photos from the middle of the park, but I don't. Still no beeping of emails etc.

You can see what's coming can't you. Two months after getting home, I get a bill online in the usual way for oh just a couple of grand. Seems O2 think I've been not only online the whole time but seemingly uploading/downloading GBs of data.

So I phone them and get the usual yeah yeah SURE you turned it off sir. SURE you wouldnt make that mistake (like everyone always says when they HAVE made that very mistake).

So I lodge a formal complaint in the very best nicest possible "yeah? well I'm not paying and I'll see you in court mate" kinda way

So then I'm thinking, it's only a tiny little box. What if I really did accidently turn it on :/ how sure am I *really* ? gulp. So I look at the detailed bill they sent me to back up their story. Well it has me online the whole time and the phone downloading more than all the computers in my home download in a month! It CANT be right, no beeps from email, I remember being at winter garden and needing a taxi, called up web browser and blam error "not connected".

Started doing some research and it turns out that the iphones have done this *a lot*. There have been many bugs including one where, if someone sends you a picture message at the same time as one of your applications tries to get onto the network, the MMS opens things up enough for the application to get through and it'll be able to hold the connection open. There's many many other tales too of huge bills when people werent even in the country at the time and things like that.

So I call them back and I'm about to point them at a load of web pages and the guy said "fine we'll just cancel that bill then but it'll be as a gesture of good will sir" (of course it will, nothing like not admitting liability).

Anyway, I bit my tongue because I really wanted to moan some more but end of the day I cared about the money more!

So long story short (too late I hear you cry!), when I go out there now with my iphone, I purposely mangle the data connection settings so it CANT connect even if wanted to Everyone seems to say they're all fixed now and nothing like that would happen. To be fair, I havent researched it recently, but although I love my iphone, my trust in it and international data access has gone I'm afraid.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    When I went to hong kong I turned it off and messed up the data settings (Should be payandgo.02.co.uk but I set it to josh.02.co.uk or something similar)

I un-did this one day and went on facebook... 15 credit gone in 1 minute!.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    i must remember all this next month when we go to Florida

Post Thanks / Like
    Set an alarm on your phone
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like

think I will be reluctant to even turn it on now