Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Food is so social with me. I would normally think that anything with lettuce in it would be healthier than a burger and fries.....and that suprisingly is not true!

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure I agree with making these sorts of things a law TBH - I feel we are drowning somewhat in regulatory red tape

Post Thanks / Like
    i have mixed views, on the one hand it seems like a nanny state thing to me and maybe we all need to take a bit more responsibility (before you shout at me i'm including myself in that!!!) but on the other hand if it helps people to make an informed choice i'm all for that. The thing that has really caught me out in the past is starbucks- a days calories in a coffee!!!

i wouldn't want it printed all over the menu but available for people to request or maybe a traffic light system where a percentage of calories per 100g for example was seen as green, amber or red green= healthy choice, amber= ok in moderation red= book me in for my bypass now!

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be useful for dieters if it was printed on menus, but I would rather it was voluntary. Surely anyone who is that concerned with calorie counting would already have a good idea of food content. I think WW have an online guide?
    For myself, if I were eating out it wouldn't deter me at all. Life is too short to 'sweat the small stuff' ... I know that for a fact.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    They could offer two menus - one with the scary calorie stuff on for people who want to know, and a regular menu for people who are on holiday and don't give a stuff what they eat for 2 weeks. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 12524
    I am not sure I agree with making these sorts of things a law TBH - I feel we are drowning somewhat in regulatory red tape
    I agree there.

I guess a few other niggle-etts for me. I'm no nutritionist, but calories can't be the only measure of healthy food and I wonder if it'll lead to even more pressure especially on kids. "omg you're not having THAT look at the calories! we're all having the celery" sigh.

I can already see the fast food companies adverts "super duper size chocolate fudge cake now with only 100 calories*" *but loaded with dodgy fake additives and preservatives to get it that way

I guess I wish as a society we'd focus more on a whole healthy diet rather than the calorific content of individual items :/ heck I'm the wrong person to be saying it given the horrendous diet I have but still
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    It wouldn't make a difference to me, if we go out for a meal it's because it's a special occasion and if we are on holiday the diet is on hold

I can imagine how off putting it could be for some people though.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point about the unnecessary legislation.

It used to be that Season's 52 had their servers carry PDAs and they could tell you the nutritional content of any meal/dish you chose. I really liked that. It was there for the asking, but not unavoidable. Unfortunately, they seem to have stopped that.

I think having the calorie content at least gives information to people who really don't realize, but need to know. I'm thinking of seniors here. They eat out quite often and truly think they are eating healthy when they order battered and fried fish. "Fish is good for you!"

I do agree that what we put in our bodies is more important than a unit of energy. What else is there in that food, eh?

Very interesting stuff though.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 12595
    Very interesting stuff though.
    agreed!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Keith. Calories and fat do not equal all you need to know about food when you are eating.
    I think this will make it harder for restuarants to attract people. More take-out will be served. Who wants to be scrutinized for what they are eating? That already happens and people don't know the exact calories on the plates.
    What's this really teaching children of an impressionable age? Watch what you order because servers and people you are eating with will be counting your calories!

Instead of calories listed I think they should offer to disclose how many actual servings are on the plate. Lord knows many US restaurants serve 2-3 servings on 1 plate of food. I mean who eats a 16oz steak?? What about 1lb of mashed potatoes? (my DH but that's his problem!)
    xxoo Rosie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast