Thread: Wakey wakey!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just taken out of fridge

[cid:19263E68-FBCF-4D5D-9AC6-24B5FF03AE78]

Josh www.tortoise-world.com www.forum.tortoise-world.com www.tortsmad.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    They are just so pretty Josh! What lovely patterns they have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awe, how long before they 'come around' Josh......or id that a totally stupid blonde question

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually give them an hour or so in a warm room and then a few warm baths then I put them in their enclosure with the heat lamp on and offer food. When waking they get a sugary liquid that runs through their liver so they have to keep warm to start eating. Tommy usually takes a day or two to eat but the others usually eat a few hours after waking!!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    What's with Tommy? His he just stubborn and still wants to sleep?

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I don't know. He's just the most 'wild' of them all. He was my first tortoise and he was purchased from a pet shop. I'd never buy from one knowing what I know now, but he was. He's what made me do all the research I've done to look after them properly because once I realised I felt very guilty.

He is more than likely wild-caught and he has very strong natural instincts. He always wants to hibernate outdoors and completely stops eating when he wants to hibernate. I can tell the weather from him too He knows it's going to rain way before it actually does!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh, so he's a free-bird, well, um, sort of.

Post Thanks / Like
    awww bless looks lovely!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, Tommy. Yes. I remember your telling us about him. Perhaps in the wild it would take them a bit longer to wake?

Tell me again, Josh? Where is their actual habitat, that would allow them to hibernate?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 199843
    Ah, Tommy. Yes. I remember your telling us about him. Perhaps in the wild it would take them a bit longer to wake?

Tell me again, Josh? Where is their actual habitat, that would allow them to hibernate?
    I think in the wild it'd certainly be slightly more gradual. The species that I have (and most other hibernating species) live in a semi-arid habitat, similar to this picture;

They hibernate because of a drop in temperature and a lack of food because of this. They eat natural plants and weeds and therefore when it's cold over the winter period there is no food for them. They will bury down and not come out to eat. If they had food in their gut then they'd die as it would begin to rot. The temperature for hibernation is higher than 3 celcius and lower than about 7. Around the 8 mark they will begin to wake up and burn up precious resources.

I use a fridge to hibernate which replicates the exact temperatures (if fitted with a thermostat of course) and is probably a safer way of doing it. Some people are lucky enough to have a garage or a brick outbuilding which does a great job. We have one but it offers no protection from mice or rats (not that we have a problem with them in our garden) and it does get slightly on the warm side if there is a few days with warm temperatures The only thing with a fridge is that it is not as humid as it would be in the wild. You can counteract this by spraying the top of their substrate, this keeps them hydrated.
    Follow Me on Pinterest