Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unveiling - my iPad

Post Thanks / Like
    A halfway house. That's probably a pretty apt description.

Just like Chris said. It's kinda like a lightweight laptop. The big advantages for me are that it's:
    • Light. I can haul it along anywhere I go easily.
    • Instantly on. Like the iPhone, it's always on and ready.
    • Does probably 80% of the stuff I need to do plus more. Sure, I still need my laptop for heavy lifting (Photoshop edits, development projects, etc.).
    • On the other hand, the iPad does things well that my laptop can't. Reading books for instance.

Will it replace my laptop, no. Will it replace my iPhone, no. It's neither a phone nor a laptop. But it fills a gap for me that I always knew was there, but didn't have a piece of technology to fix it. Now I have that technology and it's marvelous!

If you want an overview, here's the link to the Apple videos outlining the capabilites of some of the various applications on it:

iPad guided tour videos

Is it perfect. Nope. There are things that need to be done differently on it. File handling as an example. But those things are controllable via software and I fully expect that as time goes on, those shortcomings will be corrected. Either by Apple or by third party developers.

Tom (... I really like this thing!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 200772
    It's not a phone though is it?

And how much are they in this country. Not that I'm getting one, just curious.
    Nope. Not a phone. And pricing for the UK isn't out yet. Should be soon. The UK release date is supposedly only about two weeks away.

Tom (... who now owns two!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I sense it being too expensive for me as just a platform to play bird v pig games though.

Interesting toy though.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom - Stephen Fry is one of my all time heroes and was a very close friend of Douglas Adams and is probably Britains foremost Apple advocate you will like the last line of the interview

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you seen the You Tube video of Stephen Fry unpacking his ipad? You can actually hear him gasp when he takes it out of the bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    can you embed it as my stupid browser at work no longer supports youtube - and no I can't download firefox or anything more sensible or upgrade as the whole system will come crashing down

Post Thanks / Like
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QIic04tXkRw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QIic04tXkRw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and liver transplant is never good will have to google to find out why he had it

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast