Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: villa deposits

Post Thanks / Like
    Im looking around at villas which we havent really done before

The deposit thing has me worried, it's an extra cost I hadnt thought about and I worry about getting it all back afterwards

I can see it from an owners point of view but from my point of view its like they wont trust me with their place but I have to trust them with quite a lot of money

Is the money held in some kind of escrow account or do you have to hope that the owner doesnt spend it all at marks and spencer whilst youre away :

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep it to one side and don't touch it.

We've never had to keep a security deposit in 4 years of renting.

We did once have guests pull the towel rail off the bathroom wall but as it was an accident and as a gesture of goodwill we split the cost with them and it was 60 so we paid 30 each.

From our point of view we rent our home and it's a matter of trust on both sides and when you think about it our home is worth in excess of $200k so we have alot more to lose

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    Sandra is spot on there.
    We only allow close friends and family stay at our villa so we never ask for a deposit but if we opened it up to the general public then we definately would bearing in mind the horror stories we have been told by our property managers about how some of their villas get trashed.
    Most [if not all] of the villa owners are reputable folks and will gladly return your deposit if all is well.
    If I were you I would give the villa the "once over" when you arrive and report any losses/breakages/damage you find to make sure that you won`t be held responsible.

Post Thanks / Like
    As said above there is a trust factor that owners are asking about 300 from you and you are in effect holding over 200.000 of there money same as when you hire a car and hand over your credit card details.
    We have had a member on here stay at our villa and a breakage occured and he contacted us to find out where the item came from so he could replace it, the item was not expensive and we accepted the guests honesty and courtesy in telling us and advised them not to worry and carry on enjoying there holiday, we did not seek renumeration from them.
    Sadly accidents do happen and as in most any situation talking can resolve most situations.
    Talk to the owner and ask what the deposit is and once you vacate how long till they return the deposit, if you get good comunication from the villa owner then it should put your mind at rest.

Best wishes

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks everyone

It may end up making us have to choose a hotel in the area instead we wont need to find another 300-500 then. thats why the car hire thing is different, yes they'd swipe our card if anything was damaged but we dont have to find the money up front if you know what I mean

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvthemansion, post: 200203
    Im looking around at villas which we havent really done before

The deposit thing has me worried, it's an extra cost I hadnt thought about and I worry about getting it all back afterwards

I can see it from an owners point of view but from my point of view its like they wont trust me with their place but I have to trust them with quite a lot of money

Is the money held in some kind of escrow account or do you have to hope that the owner doesnt spend it all at marks and spencer whilst youre away :
    I usually hold a uk cheque and luckily I have never had to cash one But would never do it without consultation as you can never be sure it's not the cleaners like mine who this week forgot to do the alarm so I have a fine coming as because of her I have had a warning already,fortuately the manco are making her pay it
    Regards
    Barbara
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TIGGERS VILLA
    WWW.FLORIDAGOLFVACATIONVILLA.COM
    BILL AND BARBARA WELCOME YOU
    01709 881502

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggers Golf, post: 200260
    I usually hold a uk cheque and luckily I have never had to cash one But would never do it without consultation as you can never be sure it's not the cleaners like mine who this week forgot to do the alarm so I have a fine coming as because of her I have had a warning already,fortuately the manco are making her pay it
    Regards
    Barbara
    Oh! that's a much better idea Barbara! I dont have a problem with paying for anything accidently damaged of course I dont its just that if I have to give hundreds of pounds up front well thats holiday spends down the drain.

A cheque cashed only if theres a problem is a much better plan all round

Post Thanks / Like
    The other option which I often do, is to invoice for the security deposit through Paypal a couple of weeks before the holiday and then the guest can pay by credit card.

Most cc companies wait until the following month to invoice so the guest doesn't actually pay as the sd is refunded within the month so it all works out well

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    in 4 trips ive never had to pay a villa deposit
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    That's very unusual Mick - did you know the owners?

The only people I don't take one from is close friends and family

Not a single villa owner I know would rent their villa to strangers without a security deopsit - it's too risky

Sandra
    Sandra

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast