Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63

Thread: General Election time then

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but the only person that may go near thr 150,000 in the military is a chief of staff. In the salaried staff even Air Commodores are on a maxof 100,000. With regards to allowances, the food element claimed back is not taxed but the daily separation allowance is.














  2. #52
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Staffordshire U.K.
    Posts
    5,849
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 200611
    Ooooh huge tax on 4 x 4s
    It doesn`t apply to ALL 4 x 4`s though.
    My DW drives a Toyota Rav 4, which is the only vehicle we can use to get out of our house in icy weather [Jags + snow = no go!]
    Despite it being a 4 x 4, the emissions/good fuel comsumption/low emissions result in me paying a darn sight less in road fund licence compared with my Jag.





  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    315
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I said, military may be a bad example, but the principle remains the same - is it FAIR to demand half a person's wages off them just because they're successful? What happens when this tax isn't enough, and they lower the threshold to 100k? Or raise it to 60p in the pound, so they expect successful people to give the state more than half their earnings?

    The answer may be "if they don't like it, they can leave" - but then what happens when they do?

  4. #54
    Moderator Dawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In the red...
    Posts
    14,370
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see your point Mark but how do we balance it with the lower earners? Can't make them pay more tax because they have no more money to pay. A severe overhaul of the benefits system is desperately needed though to get rid our or benefits culture and the chav underclass living off Mr 50% tax. Maybe that should be done before assessing tax levels.

  5. #55
    Moderator Dawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In the red...
    Posts
    14,370
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 200708
    It doesn`t apply to ALL 4 x 4`s though.
    My DW drives a Toyota Rav 4, which is the only vehicle we can use to get out of our house in icy weather [Jags + snow = no go!]
    Despite it being a 4 x 4, the emissions/good fuel comsumption/low emissions result in me paying a darn sight less in road fund licence compared with my Jag.
    No definitely not all 4x4s. Just those used to transport public schoolboys a mile down the Fulham Palace Road and never see mud in their lifetime. And those that park in disabled spaces and those with drivers who can't park them. Or can park them but choose to park them on the yellow zigzags outside school.

  6. #56
    Administrator keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,859
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 200708
    [Jags + snow = no go!]
    .
    hehe this bit made me laugh

    Love my jag but omg how utterly useless was it this winter! Couldnt get it off the path and when I finally did I couldnt get it back on
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com









  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Billericay,Essex, UK
    Posts
    11,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkE, post: 200763
    As I said, military may be a bad example, but the principle remains the same - is it FAIR to demand half a person's wages off them just because they're successful? What happens when this tax isn't enough, and they lower the threshold to 100k? Or raise it to 60p in the pound, so they expect successful people to give the state more than half their earnings?

    The answer may be "if they don't like it, they can leave" - but then what happens when they do?
    definately not fair. ive always said why tax a successful person 50% of their wages. i guess its because they can and its easy pickings. if i were that successful id find somewhere else to live
    Mick

    Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008



  8. #58
    Administrator Tink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    15 minutes (or so) North of WDW
    Posts
    27,928
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like Keith said, might not seem so bad if they seemed to be doing something positive with it! But the pot holes on my route to work are a nightmare, I am in the vast minority as I have an NHS dentist, getting an appointment with my own doctor is less likely than winning euromillions, and the banks that have been bailed out BY ME won't give me a loan at a reasonable rate.
    OMG. This SO applies to the US!!!!






    Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire, post: 200638
    It seems to be an election run on personality politics to me.

    I will vote for our current local MP again this time purely on what she has done for me personally as opposed to the party she represents and their manifesto. I know that sounds totally selfish but she is so vocal and supportive for autistic adults and children in our area and has done so much I would be foolish to give my vote to anyone else.
    5 years ago i would have agreed with you claire but what we have learnt down here is that your local MP can do wonders if their party are in charge. When we had Labour MP she was fantastic and always did her upmost to help the likes of Beth and I, now we have LD and nothing is done. She is a complete waste of space and i think some of this is to do with her party not being in charge. I asked her help recently on several issues and two weeks after she wrote saying she had gotten no were with it. On one of the issues she had gone to the wrong department and admitted it but she did not even bother going to the right one just gave up. I have had all 3 local candidates here and there is only one that stands out the best but sadly she is Labour and i would be surprised if they got in again so will be a wasted vote. On saying this i do not wish Gordon Brown in anyway. I have not heard any of them even mention what they will do to make Beth's and my life better. The likes of Beth are the biggest losers in this economical state i am afraid as she is the minority.

    I think in 5 years we will all hate who ever our government is as they are only out for themselves.

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    5,436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mainecoon lover, post: 201100
    5 years ago i would have agreed with you claire but what we have learnt down here is that your local MP can do wonders if their party are in charge. When we had Labour MP she was fantastic and always did her upmost to help the likes of Beth and I, now we have LD and nothing is done. She is a complete waste of space and i think some of this is to do with her party not being in charge. I asked her help recently on several issues and two weeks after she wrote saying she had gotten no were with it. On one of the issues she had gone to the wrong department and admitted it but she did not even bother going to the right one just gave up. I have had all 3 local candidates here and there is only one that stands out the best but sadly she is Labour and i would be surprised if they got in again so will be a wasted vote. On saying this i do not wish Gordon Brown in anyway. I have not heard any of them even mention what they will do to make Beth's and my life better. The likes of Beth are the biggest losers in this economical state i am afraid as she is the minority.

    I think in 5 years we will all hate who ever our government is as they are only out for themselves.
    I think a lot of it is down to the individual person. Our MP is also Lib Dem but we've had such a different experience Michelle. I guess that's why I'm having to decide my vote on such a personal level. As for what I'll do if ever there is a time Annette Brooks doesn't stand. Lord Knows.





Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •