Thread: Venus & Mercury This Month

Post Thanks / Like
    People in the know say that only 1% of the population of this planet have ever seen mercury.......so now is your chance :)

Venus is usually easy to spot because it is the brightest object in the sky besides the Sun and Moon. A very bright object low in the west just after sunset or low in the east just before sunrise is most likely Venus.

Mercury is harder to observe than Venus. Mercury is not as bright and is very close to the Sun in the sky. Because it is so close to the Sun Mercury will either set very shortly after sunset or rise very shortly before dawn.

During early April, 2010, Mercury will be near its maximum distance from the Sun. Mercury will be visible after sunset low in the western sky. Mercury will be highest in the western sky from about April 6 to April 11 in 2010.

Stargazers wanting to observe Mercury should find a location with a flat western horizon. Mercury is so low and sets early enough that hills or other obstructions on the western horizon will block the view.

Venus will also shine brightly in the western sky. Venus will progressively get higher in the western sky during April 2010.

During the first two weeks in April 2010, Mercury will be just below Venus in the western sky. Stargazers should look for them low in the west as soon as it gets dark.

Through a telescope both Mercury and Venus will show phases.
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Mick. Was going to post something similar. Mercury will be a feint dot to the right of Venus this month. Venus is unmistakable. I have only seen mercury once and there is a photo on my bucket of what to look for. On the iPhone so will see if I can find. See who else can get into the 1%. I reckon it's less than that btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like
    no probs chris

got the info from the sky at night from last night, just watched it. was all about the sun. really interesting
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    See what I mean about feint - this was a handheld shot as I had to walk around the streets to find a clear shot at the horizon

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah i just about saw it. at first i wiped the screen thinking it was a speck of dust lol
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing this with us Mick I've really enjoyed reading the Astronomy Examiner blog since Chris sent me the link Was reading this earlier today on my phone on the way back from Alton Towers and wondered if I could see them but it was still a bit light. It's so hard to spot anything from where I live. TONS of light pollution, it's only on a particularly clear night I can see all the stars

Just incase anyone is interested, here is the link to the astronomy examiner blog;

Astronomy Examiner

Can't remember if Chris shared it in a PM or in the hobbies forum so thought I'd share it here
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Josh