Thread: URGENT - Everyone blow please

Post Thanks / Like
    great news that they made it back....wow what an ordeal
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. What a relief to know they are home safe. They must be shattered and happy all at once.

I hope they are getting some rest and not charging right off to work. :(

Now then! Claire's DH! COME ON HOME!!!!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Yay! They're back!

And the crowd goes crazy!

Tom (... can't wait to hear this story!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 203317
    I hope they are getting some rest and not charging right off to work. :(
    nope chris is online so no rest there

welcome back chris
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    AW Thanks guys - never thought there would be 170+replies

OK I've been up for 36 hours and smell like a foot but my family are home and safe and that , at the current moment in time is really all that matters to me.

I can totally understand people who say ' but it was only 5 days..and you were on a lovely island, all I can assure you is that the second you 'can't' leave anywhere - the panic you feel is akin to that you feel when you temporarily get your head stuck in something ( perhaps only the blokes will get that ). When you are on an island it is the only topic of conversation and your usual lines of communication are gone, we relied on people at home with internet as the island is about up to the point with internet access we were in the early 90's.

When I can focus and am less sticky I will write a bit more, but I wont labour the point - so many others have been through it, many worse - but its strange how you feel your animal instincts rise to try and protect your family, its weird.

Some Brits we met were great and chatty, whilst some of the cliques had already broken piggys glasses and the conch shell had stopped working ;)

In my head I knew the pressure to fly would win out in the end but the question was when.

The last point I make before becoming unconscious is the rescue plan from the airlines - you would have thought over the last few days they may have had a bit of thought about what they might all do, but nope when it all reopened it was worse than when it was shut..

We made a private deal with a guy who had 2 flights booked for his family, in order for the airline to change names at the late stage in the day... well it was far from cheap

I wont talk numbers as that seems crude but yesterday cost us the whole cost of the holiday over again and I doubt we will see a penny of it, as someone said earlier the temporising 'oh keep your receipts and we'll see what happens clearly smacks of them trying to wriggle out of it later on'

Oh and due to total lack of communication and people not cancelling or the airline not telling all those on the floor at the airport there were 25 empty seats on the jet we were on that landed at 3 this morning - completely inexcusable.

oh, and a few more as my brain is dribbling

- The lady at the FO was not polite about her PM :D
    - Where they got there 150,000 Brits figure from I have no idea, Canarian hotelliers and villa owners got up to nearly 30,000 on those tiny islands alone and Heathrow have said they repatriated as many as 140,000 yesterday (hmm plus calais and the pointless 125 on that boat...) , plus for every Brit on the island there was at least 1 French and 2 German and 2 Scandinavian.... it goes on
    - I really really feel sorry for everyone stuck in Orlando and the US as there is no chance whatsoever of them doing any 'catch ups'
    - Best I don't talk about easyjet - they made me sit on a floor for 4 hours yesterday then opened there shutters , shrugged and started speaking to the people at the back of the queue :mad:
    - Spanish time bears no resemblance to actual time and could end up proving Einstein and Hawking wrong
    - Always pack more than 5 pairs of pants if you are going away and more than 1 pair of shorts
    - always take a months worth of meds for your kids if they need them :(
    - Nintendo DS's are the most brilliant invention of all time - thank you ,from the bottom of my sanity Mr Nintendo
    - If you wish to stay sane take a book other than 'A brief history of time' with you
    - No Angry Birds as apps try and connect to get ads when they cant they still pass a small amount of data to get the nogo by the look of it
    - Take more than 4 DVD's

.. you get the picture

Anyway reading your posts made me misty eyed and I am deeply touched, we all are. We are so happy to be back home both in reality and here with you

Special thanks to Keith and Dawn , who have kept me the right side of actual insanity.

I await my o2 bill now with trepidation.

Thank you all xxx

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and Manchester is further away from Gatwick than I guessed at and there is a LOOOT of trucks on the road at 4 am

Oh and hiring a car for what ended up being 3 1/2 hours worked out to be 'pricey'

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome home mate! We're delighted you and yours are back safely!

Now, go to bed!

Tom (... one less thing to worry about!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so glad you are here. I wish I could fully express that. I know it doesn't compare at ALL to what you've been through, but those of us "left behind" who had nothing to do other than worry and conjure up horrible scenarios ... you get the idea.

Please try to get some rest. 36 hours and running might be "usual" for a doc who used to be an intern, but it's still not healthy.

Rest, rest and more rest, then come back and give us your social commentary on the experience. I've zillions of questions... for later.

Hugs to Lisa and the boys.

(ONE pair of shorts?! OOOooeeeeee!).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you're all back Chris. My nephew made it home last night, He is 13 and had been away with School on a hockey tour. His Mummy can now rest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you are home safely Chris. Sorry to hear about the shambles at the airport and all the extra costs. I'm sure you must have been plenty tired trying to make that drive from Manchester to Gatwick.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast