Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: URGENT - Everyone blow please

Post Thanks / Like
    Good grief! Why isn't a disaster situation being declared? That would open up shelters and that sort of aide?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 202416
    Good grief! Why isn't a disaster situation being declared? That would open up shelters and that sort of aide?
    I truly don't know!

There was a mother with 3 kids emailing yesterday from an internet terminal in an airport. Her phone doesn't have international roaming, she's been trying to use pay phones but can't get in touch with anyone and although she's emailed her work colleagues, they probably wont see it until Monday. She was saying that she just doesnt have the money to book a hotel and anyway, a lady in the airport tried for her but couldnt find anywhere. On Thursday she was thinking well it's a few hours but now she's thinking what if it's weeks!

She was so panicked that she was talking to us because we were the only people answering emails and since all we are is her email provider that shows the desperation.

Surely if you were in this situation you'd assume your government would be giving some help? wouldnt you?
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. You would most certainly think so. The whole thing is elevating to chaos it seems. Without being overly dramatic it's a situation ripe for terrorist attempts...

If those who are stranded were provided for, even in a mass shelter sort of situation, then the chaos would be under some level of control.

Government should definitely be involved. Hell, its interested enough in my bedroom, why isn't it interested in stranded people who have no means to return to their homes? Seems a little more important to me, than who is sleeping with whom and who is marrying whom.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 202419
    Surely if you were in this situation you'd assume your government would be giving some help? wouldnt you?
    says everything about this government doesnt it :( now if it was for another country to get some browny points [no pun intended lol] they would jump at it....ive ALWAYS said charity starts at home
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    isn't THAT the truth

Seems big government is only interested in interfering not solving the big problems.

You'd have thought there'd be *SOME* options the experts could come up with wouldn't you? fly into western Ireland and boat people back, whatever, SOMETHING!

Post Thanks / Like
    There you have it Keith and much more cleanly said than my rant. Interfereing instead of solving... that's the governments of today, regardless it seems, of which western country we are talking about.

Is there something "we" (those not stranded) can do? Can we start reaching out publickly and demanding that something be done for these folks? Shelters, free meals, ect?

I KNOW it has to be an issue here, as some of the British flights have already been canceled (return flights). We are headed into "season" so the hotel rooms will start to get scarce, although right now it might not be as huge an issue as in other places.

If the "new reservations" can't come in, then there will be room for the current people who are stranded. Of course, that all depends upon their ability to come up with funds isn't it?

What a rough way to have to learn that your credit card is maxed, or your emergency stash isn't sufficient... I know at the end of a holiday I'd be in trouble if this happened to me. I do carry an "emergency only card" though, but still... that's going into debt and I really wouldn't want to have to do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 202416
    That's exactly what I was thinking......

It is an international disaster after all. I really feel sorry for anyone with children in tow.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Virgin have a facebook page and I've been reading some of the comments:

"Sharon Adey
    im stuck in los angeles with my 13 year old daughter, im due to fly to heathrow on monday but doesnt look good, i have no money and no credit cards so what do i do??, trying to get hold of tour operater but to no avail, does any1 know what i should do?? xx"

"Shantanu Bhagwat
    Btw, I've been on hold on the Virgin customer service number +1 800 862 8621 for the last 2.5 hrs. Incredibly annoying."

"Charlotte Kerr
    Not sure if this has already been posted but I found this on the BBC news website:

A Foreign and Commonwealth Office 24-hour consular helpline has been set up on 020 7008 0000 for people stuck abroad."

So it seems they've set up a helpline at least :/

Post Thanks / Like
    a friend of mine is stuck in orlando and has been told that the next flight they can have is April 30th!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's nearly 2 weeks!!!!

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast