Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 204

Thread: URGENT - Everyone blow please

  1. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    5,436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 202497
    They said that it would use more fuel (I Dont care, do it anyway!) and that there was still ash in the lower levels not just in the upper (but enough to cause a problem?)

    Dunno, obviously we're not the experts but I just wonder if they all just thought well we'll leave it a day and see if the wind changes
    It's fuel burn, pure and simple. If an aircraft flies at low altitude it's much less fuel efficient. The air is thicker, causing more drag, more drag needs more power, more power needs more fuel. With a full load it probably won't reach it's destination. The aircraft would also fly much slower You'd be looking at stopping to refuel. DH described it as me driving my very thirsty diesel at 30 mph in third gear everywhere.

    DH also said something about airspeed at different altitudes but I got confused.





  2. #82
    Administrator keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,810
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire, post: 202502
    It's fuel burn, pure and simple. If an aircraft flies at low altitude it's much less fuel efficient. The air is thicker, causing more drag, more drag needs more power, more power needs more fuel. With a full load it probably won't reach it's destination. The aircraft would also fly much slower You'd be looking at stopping to refuel. DH described it as me driving my very thirsty diesel at 30 mph in third gear everywhere.

    DH also said something about airspeed at different altitudes but I got confused.
    Sure thing I know the physics of it but we're not talking 5000 feet for 5000 miles here, we're only talking a lower altitude until they can get out of the way of the ash which looking at the charts isn't far at all (if we're talking manchester across the atlantic to Orlando for example)
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com









  3. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm sure that it's cheaper to burn more fuel than lose all the money they are. A little bit in the back of my mind is screaming CONSPIRACY!!!















  4. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    5,436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 202503
    Sure thing I know the physics of it but we're not talking 5000 feet for 5000 miles here, we're only talking a lower altitude until they can get out of the way of the ash which looking at the charts isn't far at all (if we're talking manchester across the atlantic to Orlando for example)
    I guess they could if they were going towards the States but as the cloud now covers a large part of northern Europe it wouldn't clear it until past Russia or beyond Spain/Italy. I guess I was thinking of Europe more when I answered as DH is grounded in Berlin.





  5. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    did everyone see Dan Snow's efforts??

    BBC News - TV historian rescues stranded travellers

    bloomin stupid people stopped it though!















  6. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    National Georgraphic channel - the BA flight that crashed due to volcanic ash















  7. #87
    Administrator keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,810
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire, post: 202508
    I guess they could if they were going towards the States but as the cloud now covers a large part of northern Europe it wouldn't clear it until past Russia or beyond Spain/Italy. I guess I was thinking of Europe more when I answered as DH is grounded in Berlin.
    yeah for sure it would work better across to the states :( but still yah know, it's *something*

    I just don't feel they're REALLY trying yah know?
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com









  8. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jon says that they're planning on flying people into Spain then getting them back that way, would be nice if we had a Navy to use!















  9. #89
    Administrator keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,810
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 202514
    would be nice if we had a Navy to use!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com









  10. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    5,436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 202513
    yeah for sure it would work better across to the states :( but still yah know, it's *something*

    I just don't feel they're REALLY trying yah know?
    I know. If they were to try it they would have to only use 4 engined jets. All the twins have to fly the great circle route up over Scotland and around past Iceland, Greenland and Canada as they can't go more than 180 mins from land which obviously isn't an option. If you throw in all the rules about different aircraft types and flying distances my DH likened it to having hundreds of trucks in the outside lane of the M25 with no brakes!





Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •