Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: free disney dining plan warning

Post Thanks / Like
    We never use the free dining or the paid DDP. But if they have taken away appetizers and now plan on taking away the dessert it doesn't seem as though it is worth paying for it any longer.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    I think thats probably what they are aiming for. It will come to a point where they take away so much that people wont book it anymore, thus giving them the excuse to get rid of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa1976, post: 204212
    I think thats probably what they are aiming for. It will come to a point where they take away so much that people wont book it anymore, thus giving them the excuse to get rid of it.
    then maybe it will give some walkin customers a chance to eat at them
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 204214
    then maybe it will give some walkin customers a chance to eat at them
    nice comment Mick!

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet you Disney are not looking to can the dining plan. They love knowing that every restaurant they can build will be full, it helps planning how much food to buy and so on

This is just pushing and pushing to see how much margin they can get. Of course it gets to the point where less people actually buy the scheme but the price is such that fewer people actually lead to more profit. Win!

It HAS forced the dining experience way down at Disney though
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's an odd one.

We were at Kidani Village over the past weekend (with Seth). We did not purchase the DDP, and had no ADRs. We had our food with us.

Herself decided that she wanted to take the boy to Boma on Saturday evening. Around 5:00 pm she went to the concierge and asked for an ADR. The earliest they could give her was 8:50 pm. Remember they cannot book an ADR earlier than two hours out now.

She said no thanks, too late.

We walked over to AKL, went to Boma somewhere around 6:30 maybe? Were given a pager and told it would be a 20-35 minute wait. It ended up being about 15 minutes (we had just ordered our drinks at Victoria!) then we were seated. Jiko appeared no more busy. (We stopped by Sanaa on the way back, same thing empty tables...).

The parks were very busy. There was no lack of people.

The new ADR system is NOT working to keep the restaurants full, and perhaps the word is out - Disney dining has fallen off so much many of those who used to frequent the restaurants have stopped doing so, guests and local alike (I know we have).

Needless to say, it was odd; a walk up with no problems (the first in literally years).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats very interesting indeed Tink, I didnt know about the two hours out policy but it makes sense.

Interestingly we did a few walk ups in November last year. Not the busiest time in the world but still curious.

I think, especially with the ease of the online ADRs, people are just booking everything they can and then not turning up leaving holes. Of course whether the restaurant then lets walk ups fill the holes is another matter. I know for certain some want all they can get but le cellier for example is particularly bad for saying "nope we're full" even though inside it's half empty.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the two hour delay is stupid, quite frankly. The premise is that it takes two hours for a guest to get from point a to point b using Disney transportation.

Yeah, well not when you can walk to the restaurant in under five minutes, or when the restaurant (like Cape May) is within the resort where you are staying.

Another ill thought scheme on the part of Disney research. I really thought they were going to revise that two hour delay silliness, but they haven't. We reaped the benefits of it once before (when we first learned about it).

The drawback is, as you say, some places will allow you in, others won't, regardless of tables, they go by the numbers on the screen. Disconnect of logic.

It all does combine to make for a better dining experience off property.

Even at Boma the service was pretty poor; clearly the server thought the tip was "included." His face was a real picture when we pulled out cash. It was as if he'd never seen it before, and he suddenly (seriously!) got very friendly and started asking if we'd like coffee... blah, blah, blah. I couldn't resist, and smiled and said, "No thank you. That might have been nice over dessert though." He got the message. And a 15% tip.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    we did sifi cafe the other day just walked up andwere seated straight away after being asked if we were on dining plan was the 1st question and like tink said cash seems to speak volumes here now

Post Thanks / Like
    oh dear we using our dining plan for the first time this year, hopefully it will turn out okay. We have done our ADR hopefully it still valid as not told them yet we will be using dining plan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12