Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: explain gratuities?

Post Thanks / Like
    We've been before which was enough to make us stress about things

Who do we tip if we're just 4 ? does the tip go on per head or the amount of the bill before or after the tax ?

Whats the minimum we can legally give?

Post Thanks / Like
    we just give a tip what we think the service deserves, they do ask for 15% last time i saw, but you should be able to tip what you think it deserves, more if you think they deserve it
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    The tip is before tax and based on the whole bill. What you leave is pretty much up to you but 15-20% is the accepted norm. You do not have to tip at Disney counter service places as a rule. However. there are several "counter service" places off site where you may sit at a counter as opposed to a table and tips are generally accepted there. Places like that coming to mind are Silver Diner, Denny's, Bob Evans.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    However, while 15 to 20% is the accepted norm for good service, I'm not afraid to do significantly less than that if the service dictates it.

For instance, on our last trip to WDW, we had a surly waiter and abysmal service at Le Cellier. I stiffed him. Didn't leave him a nickel. I believe that a tip is a payment (gratuity, etc) for services rendered. If I don't get acceptable service, I will not encourage that kind of behavior by paying for something I consider totally inadequate.

On the other hand, if I have a reasonably pleasant, attentive server, I'll tip them properly.

I let the level of service I received be my guide.

Tom (... not terribly hard to please!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I also go with the service, as to how much to tip. I will leave nothing too, if it's horrible service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh gosh Tom, what did he do? I've heard stories of waiters running after patrons because they didn't tip. On the flipside I have overheard fellow Brits on tables next to us saying that they're going to leave $2 for great service. I do tend to tip the lower end for buffets, certainly not 20%

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 205050
    Oh gosh Tom, what did he do?
    Just about everything wrong! :mad:

Didn't bring anything when it was required. Empty glasses. Kept saying things like "Everything is OK, yes.", then just walking away without giving us a chance to even respond.

The people at the table next to us were ready to walk out (same server). They'd been sitting there waiting on their entree for over an hour. No drink refills, no bread, nothing. He hadn't even come by the table to see if they needed anything!

Kept acting like he was doing us some huge favor just by gracing us with his presence occasionally. Without actually bringing us our drinks or food.

I came within a hair's breadth of calling the manager over which in retrospect, I should have done.

Not at all the service I expect at Le Cellier nor does it bear any relation to the service I have received in the past.

Tom (... I'm not that hard to please. Really!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I know the bad service sticks in our minds and generally we've had great service but one time at liberty tree tavern springs to mind.

We were sat down next to another uk family who were looking very quiet and subdued. I looked over at the lady and she said "thank goodness somene else is here, see what you think of the waitress".

Just them this waitress staggered up the stairs looking more like a haunted mansion cast member than a LTT server, dark eyes, staggering around. As she got up the stairs she fell over and slowly got up and swayed towards us.

She dropped some strawers on our table and slurred "drinks?" I said just water please and she swayed across to the other table grabbing hold of the edge of it to steady herself.

Well when she'd gone the lady on the table said, shes been dropping things we cant understand her, she cant understand us, we think she's drunk or on drugs!

I thought argh yeah but at the same time, part of me thinks would they let someone work that was like that so perhaps she's just got a medical problem and if so, I dont want to say anything :/

Of COURSE The service was dreadful. She wasnt there most of the time, when she was, we were terrified she'd drop something and indeed, the next tie she arrived she dropped a tray of coke over the kids at the next table cue many tears.

Well myself and the man next door said ok come on, we've got to have some guts and gently suggest that this woman shouldnt be serving. Whether its medical or drink/drugs, she shouldnt be serving. So we spoke to the manager who looked at us like we were the worst kind of scum. Nothing wrong with her and if there was dont we think they'd have noticed !

So we go back to the table wondering if we've been reenforcing each others undeserved feelings and perhaps we've really been unfair to the woman.

Minutes later she fell up the stairs with a tray full of hot tea. Went everywhere, other cms came and bundled her away to the back room. Obviously that was the end of the "service" such as it was.

Anyway, we were sitting there thinking what we do now! manager isnt interested, so do we just leave? no cant do that. Pay the bill and just put it down to experience? well the other table didnt really want to do that given their kids were now sitting in cold wet clothes soaked with cola.

So we both just put enough dollars to pay for the meal and thought we'll leave it at that.

As we're leaving, the server comes shouting, in slurred speech, after us with her friend going MAD that we hadn't left a gratuity

I tried to ask if she was ok, but she wanted none of that just held her hand out for dollars.

We all just walked away. Dont know about the other family but we certainly reported the experience but heard nothing about it.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to wait tables and remember the pain of only making $4/hr. plus tips, so I never leave less than 20%. Especially at a sit-down restaurant where you linger over your food. The longer you sit at a table, you are taking that table out of rotation for a new group of people to eat (and tip). The longer you stay at a table, the more you should tip. And even if it's only you and you only ordered a sandwich and a drink, don't leave less than $2. Generally wait staff know that the better service they provide, the more they will be tipped. If someone has worked their behind off, PLEASE consider leaving 20% (of total bill). That would only be $4 on a $20 check. It's not that big of deal for you, probably, but it does mean a lot to a server. Also, please consider the fact that a lot of times servers have to tip out other staff members (hostess, bus boy, bartender) so they don't even get all of their own tips. Also, sometimes the waitstaff has to pool tips.
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife always says that I over tip and she may be right. When I was kid my mom was a secretary during the day and waited tables at night to make ends meet and I remember how tired she would be when she came home after her shift. So when I have a waitress who does a good/decent job I usually leave a 20-25% tip and have on occasion given more that that. I have never left less than 15% for bad service,if I felt that the service wasn't up to par I would speak to the manager and let them know that the service wasnt up to par.

off site- AUG 86 --- carribean beach JULY94
    all star movies JULY99- all star sports JULY00
    coronado JAN01---------all star sports AUG01
    all star music JULY02 ---All Star Movies Apr03
    POR JULY04 -------------Disneyland Hotel Aug 04
    Pop Century APR 05 -----Pop Century AuG 05
    Pop Century AUG 06-----Carribean beach Aug 07
    Pop Century Aug-08----- Pop Century Aug -09
    Pop Century Aug-11------Off Prop- Feb 12
    Caribbean Bch-Aug 12---Pop Century Aug 13
    Pop Dec 14---Pop Feb 15--Pop April 15

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast