Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: explain gratuities?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 205311
    keith....so did you eat the food, did DW eat hers after the server touched it. and did you tip in the end
    Well of course it was a complete waste of time. The chicken came back overcooked, as it would sigh, and we couldnt be sure it was a fresh one not just the manhandled old one heated up so no one wanted to eat that. My steak had been languishing on the table so I didn't fancy that.

So no we didn't eat anything, sadly I did pay the bill :( I'm not proud of it but we had places to be and didn't want to sour the day any more. No tip was left no and I left a quick comment card something like "Chicken as cold as the server's attitude and with about as much life. Manager should start practising the line 'What drink would you like with your happy meal?' since I have no doubt she's just a few short weeks away from a hat with a large M on it. Never again!'
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmmmm im thinking do i really want to eat at any of these venues now, i thought eating at a disney ressy was the top of the tops for dining, im not s sure now, seems like you'd get better service at BK's
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 205318
    hmmmmm im thinking do i really want to eat at any of these venues now, i thought eating at a disney ressy was the top of the tops for dining, im not s sure now, seems like you'd get better service at BK's
    Disney Dining hasbn't been top of the tops for many years now Mick, certainly not since the dining plan and frankly even before that it was getting pretty ropey.

The unfortunate thing is, we talk so much about the negatives because they're so prevalent these days, but the great experiences and great CMs are TRULY wonderful still. It's just much harder to find them nowadays

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 205316
    Well of course it was a complete waste of time. The chicken came back overcooked, as it would sigh, and we couldnt be sure it was a fresh one not just the manhandled old one heated up so no one wanted to eat that. My steak had been languishing on the table so I didn't fancy that.

So no we didn't eat anything, sadly I did pay the bill :( I'm not proud of it but we had places to be and didn't want to sour the day any more. No tip was left no and I left a quick comment card something like "Chicken as cold as the server's attitude and with about as much life. Manager should start practising the line 'What drink would you like with your happy meal?' since I have no doubt she's just a few short weeks away from a hat with a large M on it. Never again!'
    oh you chicken for paying the bill

terrible service tho. yikes!!!

one way of making sure its a fresh one. tell them to leave that one on the table and get me a fresh one, then you can take it away ;)
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 205324
    one way of making sure its a fresh one. tell them to leave that one on the table and get me a fresh one, then you can take it away ;)
    yeah I mean the thought did occur but it's all just degrading the relationship, such as it was, between us and the server yah know? Now we're saying we don't trust them, which of course we didn't . A good server would have offered that as a solution anyway and said "ok now, seriously my apologies and I've taken that off the bill, let's start fresh and see if we can rescue the experience for you shall we? here's a complimentary drink for you both"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 205322
    Disney Dining hasbn't been top of the tops for many years now Mick, certainly not since the dining plan and frankly even before that it was getting pretty ropey.

The unfortunate thing is, we talk so much about the negatives because they're so prevalent these days, but the great experiences and great CMs are TRULY wonderful still. It's just much harder to find them nowadays
    that really suprises me that its been on a slippery slope for so long....i can understand standards slipping because of the DP, but is it honestly free, no one gives you anything for free

i can understand that tho its our nature to bring to the front about the bad things that happen. i mean im no gourmet diner in any sense of the word but i will always let them know if i enjoyed the meal or not. i think the best steak ive ever had was at an american steahhouse called simply blues down here the fillet was to die for mmmmmmmmmm
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 205326
    yeah I mean the thought did occur but it's all just degrading the relationship, such as it was, between us and the server yah know? Now we're saying we don't trust them, which of course we didn't . A good server would have offered that as a solution anyway and said "ok now, seriously my apologies and I've taken that off the bill, let's start fresh and see if we can rescue the experience for you shall we? here's a complimentary drink for you both"
    thats how it should be, rescue the situation. make the experience a good one so you visit again and again
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 205328
    that really suprises me that its been on a slippery slope for so long....i can understand standards slipping because of the DP, but is it honestly free, no one gives you anything for free
    Certainly not free there is indeed a cost to the dining plan and when you work it out, it often doesn't work out as particularly good value nowadays. When they offer a free dining plan, it's usually instead of a discount to the room rate so one way or another you're paying for it yep.

The problem isn't the cost or "free", it's that it's been so wildly successfull with people who like to feel everythings paid for up front, that the restaurants are completely packed out nearly 100% of the time! That along with an almost guaranteed gratuity system means that food is no longer lovingly prepared, it's heated, thrown at a server who throws it at the customer and moves on.

There *ARE* exceptions there really are both to the quality of food and to the quality of service, it's just that you have to work to find them now. 10 years ago things were oh so very different

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 205333
    Certainly not free there is indeed a cost to the dining plan and when you work it out, it often doesn't work out as particularly good value nowadays. When they offer a free dining plan, it's usually instead of a discount to the room rate so one way or another you're paying for it yep.

The problem isn't the cost or "free", it's that it's been so wildly successfull with people who like to feel everythings paid for up front, that the restaurants are completely packed out nearly 100% of the time! That along with an almost guaranteed gratuity system means that food is no longer lovingly prepared, it's heated, thrown at a server who throws it at the customer and moves on.

There *ARE* exceptions there really are both to the quality of food and to the quality of service, it's just that you have to work to find them now. 10 years ago things were oh so very different
    success isnt always a good thing for some things then is it :(

so if i were to dine at a disney ressy where would you recommend?

i know YSH and ricardo is a good one if you get him as a server obviously
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 205340
    success isnt always a good thing for some things then is it :(

so if i were to dine at a disney ressy where would you recommend?

i know YSH and ricardo is a good one if you get him as a server obviously
    Well the problem is lack of consistency :/ a good place one day can be awful the next :(

I really like v&a though expensive of course, california grill, YSH, scifi diner for the atmosphere :), artist point

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast