Thread: ipad v iphone

Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone explain how the ipad is going to be more than a large iphone please?

Is it even out in the UK yet?

Could it replace my old pc laptop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by disneymom, post: 204989
    Can someone explain how the ipad is going to be more than a large iphone please?

Is it even out in the UK yet?

Could it replace my old pc laptop?
    Well... the iPad is not an iPhone. You can't make phone calls from the iPad.

But, the iPad is MUCH easier to use than the iPhone. Bigger screen, easier to read, bigger virtual keyboard so easier to type on. Additionally, the iPad has various applications that aren't terribly practical on the iPhone. Things like the iBooks. It's a ebook reader application/store. And it's brilliant!

Beyond that, the Photos app on the iPad is also brilliant. Much better than what's on the iPhone. Additionally, there are apps on the iPad that you just couldn't use on the iPhone. Things like Apple's iWork suite (Pages, Keynote, Numbers). These are absolutely magnificent applications and they couldn't possibly work on the iPhone.

The bottom line is that I've got both the iPhone and the iPad. They both serve their own purposes. But now that I've got it, I couldn't do without my iPad. It's that brilliant.

You wanted to know if the iPad could replace your old PC laptop. I don't know how you use your laptop but if it's strictly for things like email, web browsing, photos, etc. Then the answer is a qualified "yes". Qualified because you'll still need a pc to run iTunes on to sync your iPad with. Other than that, I think that in some cases, the iPad could serve as a PC replacement.

Tom (... IIO... Initial iPad Owner)

Post Thanks / Like
    What Tom said!

That's pretty complete

Tom, do you really need to sync with a pc/mac ? I'm just thinking you could download apps from the appstore directly to the device I assume, so what do you absolutely need to sync for?
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 205004
    What Tom said!

That's pretty complete

Tom, do you really need to sync with a pc/mac ? I'm just thinking you could download apps from the appstore directly to the device I assume, so what do you absolutely need to sync for?
    I'm guessing for updates to the firmware etc? It also backs up your data too
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 205004
    Keith, when you first get your iPad and unpack it, the only thing you'll see on the screen the first time you turn it on is a picture of a USB plug demanding you plug it into iTunes.

You've got to do that initial sync the first time before you can do anything at all on the iPad. After that, you really don't need to sync much. Especially if you've got a Mac and a .me account. You can use .me synchronization to keep bookmarks, calendars, contacts, mail account, notes automatically in sync with your iPad.

But the first time, you've got to sync it.

Tom (... there's a first time for everything!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 205008
    I'm guessing for updates to the firmware etc? It also backs up your data too
    That too, Josh!

Tom (... who likes to keep his firmware current!)

Post Thanks / Like
    So same as iphone then in that regard. It's a real shame they insist on that initial sync!

Yep I attach the iphone for firmware updates very occasionally but other than that I NEVER sync with the pc/mac

Post Thanks / Like
    I only really plug it in for firmware and to sync my address book Oh and to put music on it that I've ripped from CD's

I don't have a mobile.me account!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the things we supply are email/contacts/calendar/notes etc all syncing over the air with the iphone/ipad so I dont even need to plug in to sync contacts thats why I think it's a bit of a shame they made it even need a computer when you buy it!

Still as you say, useful for firmware updates