Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think #2?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've hesitated to bring this up, as it can be a very emotional topic, but since it does involve Disney (in a related way) I thought I'd give it a go.

We are all civilized people here, so we'll be able to discuss this without incident, I know.

There have been recent changes to the firearms law(s) in the US. It has been ruled that a person with a permit to carry a concealed weapon (handgun for the most part) is now allowed to carry that weapon to work with them, as long as they keep it locked in their car. There are some exceptions to this law, one being if the workplace has a certificate to posses (make or use) explosives, including fireworks.

A Disney employee (security position) has been fired for bringing his weapon on Disney property, as it is against Disney policy. Disney is citing the fireworks/explosive clause, and the former employee's attorney is saying that doesn't apply as the defendant wasn't working (or parking) in an area where the explosives are used or kept.

There were other changes to the firearms laws, also. The essentially add up to easing up on the restrictions, which I personally find horrifying.

So, what do you think?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand why they felt they needed a firearm at Disney?.. was it because they felt unsafe travelling to and from work? Otherwise I don't see any need for it at Disney.

Post Thanks / Like
    personally i find the whole idea of members of the public being allowed to carry firearms absolutely terrifying, and why would anyone feel they need to be in possession of a firearm in their workplace?

maybe there are reasons but i just feel it's all so frightening.....

Post Thanks / Like
    That is what he claimed. He said he felt the need for protection off Disney property. However, he'd apparently not needed protection until the law changed?

I can't remember where he said he lived, but I don't think it was in a terribly unsafe area. Any area can have problems.

My primary concern is that with all the impulsive behaviors we hear about today (and granted, we only have a sensationalized version of "the news") if someone has a firearm in their car, how far away are we from having a tragedy if that person perceives insult in the workplace and then decides to take matters into her or his own hands?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I find the US gun laws horrifying anyway, without knowing that people take them to work at Disney.

Post Thanks / Like
    :sigh; I guess I just don't understand why the legislators don't understand that gun control is something so very long overdue.

Gotta love the power of the NRA. :(

Post Thanks / Like
    I think in the specific issue of the employee, Disney was right to fire him. They're trying to create something very specific and having various unknown people with concealed weapons should terrify anyone of sane mind.

I generally also believe that going any further down the line of derestricting firearms is bound to lead to more problems.

However, it is possible to see it from the other point of view. In the UK now, my view, and the view of many others, is that the legal system favours a violent offender over the law abiding citizen every time :( In other words, criminals break into your house in the middle of the night with weapons of some kind, despite there being a "reasonable force defence" should the citizen fight back with almost anything, it's the citizen that'll end up getting into trouble :rolleyes008:

When the prevailing system goes THAT far to ensure that law abiding citizens don't use weapons, all that leaves are the criminals who don't care about laws.

In other words, I find it hard to argue with someone who says "if Im going to come face to face with an armed criminal, I want to have the means to defend myself and I'll worry about the consequences later. At least I'll still be alive to worry about it"
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 13346
    In other words, I find it hard to argue with someone who says "if Im going to come face to face with an armed criminal, I want to have the means to defend myself and I'll worry about the consequences later"

yeah, i see what you mean Keith :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 13322
    It has been ruled that a person with a permit to carry a concealed weapon (handgun for the most part) is now allowed to carry that weapon to work with them, as long as they keep it locked in their car.
    What scares me is the thought of car parks full of cars containing guns....
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Piglit, post: 13353
    What scares me is the thought of car parks full of cars containing guns....
    It really is scary :( especially the concealment
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast