Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you think #2?

Post Thanks / Like
    True!

Dawn, do not confuse the NRA with a group that has a social conscience or concern for society at all. Their sole mission is to keep the gun laws as liberal as possible so they can own and use the weapons they choose. They stand by the adage, "guns don't kill people..."

I was once at a country auction in Kentucky and there was a Smith and Wesson on the table for sale. :sigh;

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 13370
    How do the NRA justify keeping the second amendment in light of the ever-increasing rate of gun crime then?
    I'm in favour of the second amendment--the right to bear arms. I don't believe it ever was intended to be construed as the right to bear arms for the purpose of crime.

I think that's the stand the Supreme Court would take if the issue ever landed there--and they agreed to consider it. I don't think they would recommend amending the constitution, simply passing and enforcing laws that make sense.

I one of those people who never have been around weapons and they terrify me!

Post Thanks / Like
    But it was the right to bear arms as the nation did not have a standing army. Now they have the biggest standing army in the world. The amendment was seen as necessary so that in the event of an attack on the US an army could be formed of civilians who owned their own weapons. So why hasn't the amendment been repealed?

Post Thanks / Like
    That brings us back to...NRA and its powerful lobby.

The Constitution is taken quite seriously here, or it's purported to be, by the "lawmakers." Repealing an amendment is a major undertaking.

Remember the ERA? That came so close, but didn't make it. Same idea.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Filibusters?

The Constitution is such an awesome document but...

Hey I've really missed this. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 13371
    I once (loonnnnnnng time ago) walked into a fast food restaurant in Tennessee (I was a kid on my way home to the northeast, driving a souped up Chevy with flames painted along the sides! LOL!) and many of the customers there had revolvers strapped to their hips!

:
    Tink pictures please. When we came over to Orlando in Oct 03 , I can't tell you how shocked we were to see firearms in Walmart.:shocked025:
    My Father runs a shoot for game birds. Don't get me started on this but he does.:(. The laws over here state you have to apply for a permit to have a gun in your house. It has to be in a non-removable cast iron box. The police come and check every year to see that he is complying with this. I know of course that there are plenty of gun keepers out there who don't do this but if he was caught with it in the back of his car without a permit he would be jailed. Completely agree with all comments on here and i think Disney were right to fire this man.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 13395
    But it was the right to bear arms as the nation did not have a standing army. Now they have the biggest standing army in the world. The amendment was seen as necessary so that in the event of an attack on the US an army could be formed of civilians who owned their own weapons. So why hasn't the amendment been repealed?
    Ahhh, but if some unscrupulous politician became President--over overthrew the existing government--and used the standing army to achieve his/her own plans...

I think that's where the second amendment comes into play. Citizens have the right to defend themselves--even a standing government.

Definitely don't need concealed weapons, though! *eek*

Post Thanks / Like
    Nor those uzi, gangster weapons that are good for nothing but promoting crime, drive by shootings, and terrorists. :(

Post Thanks / Like
    I find this horrifying. I hate guns with a passion. I won't have them in my house, they just scare me to death. I personally wouldn't care if the 2nd Amendment was repealed.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taja, post: 13523
    Ahhh, but if some unscrupulous politician became President--over overthrew the existing government--and used the standing army to achieve his/her own plans...

I think that's where the second amendment comes into play. Citizens have the right to defend themselves--even a standing government.

Definitely don't need concealed weapons, though! *eek*
    Then why doesn't every other country with an army have gun laws like the US?

It's that American paranoia again.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast