Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epcot's Segway Tour

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gwennie81, post: 208406
    I booked it! Tomorrow morning at 9:30am I'll be learning how to ride a Segway! I'll let you all know how it goes. The reservationist said that the first hour is spent getting to know the Segway and the 2nd hour is actually doing the tour. It's too bad there's not just a 2hr. walking tour. Oh well. I'm PUMPED!
    via telephone? I am wondering if it is possible to book it while you are at epcot?

Post Thanks / Like
    I did it! So much fun! It was more about getting to ride a segway than learning too much about World Showcase but I still did learn a lot. There was just one other guy besides me in the group (2 people dropped out because they didn't feel comfortable on the Segway). I picked it up really fast. I'm a Segway natural! Who knew? Our trainer was awesome, our tour guide was awesome, and it was great to be in World Showcase by ourselves. Overall, a great experience!
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Deafjeff, post: 208482
    via telephone? I am wondering if it is possible to book it while you are at epcot?
    You can book over the phone, Jeff. That's how I did it. Also, you can wait and go to guest services and book when you are there. The drawback to that would be that there may not be any openings.

I apologize, I don't remember when you are coming over? Some times of the year, I would imagine it not being as hard to book as other times.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 208654
    You can book over the phone, Jeff. That's how I did it. Also, you can wait and go to guest services and book when you are there. The drawback to that would be that there may not be any openings.

I apologize, I don't remember when you are coming over? Some times of the year, I would imagine it not being as hard to book as other times.
    mmmhh we going mid Sept (if all goes well with blast Ash grr)

I think I will go to the Guest Service and book the next opening

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you may be ok.

Do you not want to call ahead for any particular reason, or are you just more comfortable doing it in person?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Not able to use the telephone (Deaf)

Post Thanks / Like
    Does relay not work for something like this then?

Again, I apologize for not understanding the differences between our two countries as they relate to the deaf community. Here we have a relay interface that allows a deaf person to communicate with anyone who does not have a TTY. Or vice versa.

I wonder if there is an email way to communicate with PLAY Disney?

I'll check it out and see what I can find out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 208659
    Does relay not work for something like this then?

Again, I apologize for not understanding the differences between our two countries as they relate to the deaf community. Here we have a relay interface that allows a deaf person to communicate with anyone who does not have a TTY. Or vice versa.

I wonder if there is an email way to communicate with PLAY Disney?

I'll check it out and see what I can find out.
    Hi, we have UK relay but it does not work very well overseas, if you can find email address would be wonderful!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll see what I can do.

If all I can find out is by calling them directly and asking them what they have in place to address this need, then that will be worth something.

I'll call on Monday, and get back to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well. :(

I decided to phone WDW today. I am not happy to report their response. The person I spoke with (after explaining what I wanted to learn to several different cast members ) was with guest services.

She said that the only way to communicate with WDW is through TTY/TDD. She also said that since you were in the UK, and that ASL is not your language, they did not have any way for you to participate in the tour. :( :( :(

She said that they do not have BSL interpreters, only ASL, and since their "normal" method of communication with the deaf when ASL is not an option, is in writing, and since that would not be possible with the instruction portion of the tour, there doesn't seem to be a way for you to participate in this activity.

I was not amused and questioned that policy as it is a barrier to their activities and events. She was not very willing to listen much.

So, if you still wish to do this, I'd say your best option will be to go to guest services and try to book it there.

I don't see why, if they use written communication for all other events when ASL interpretation is not in use, it can't be done with this too.

Learning to drive a segway isn't difficult. It's all a matter of balance and understanding the controls. Lean left, go left, lean right, go right... it's really NOT hard. :(

I'm sorry that WDW seems to be so difficult to work with on this issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast