Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Keep your fingers crossed please

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you also looked at Home for www.manytears.co.uk ? They have a lot of ex-breeding dogs that do need some behavioural work but get on fantastically having another dog to 'teach' them so-to-speak. They often have pups, too
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell, post: 208954
    Hi, I know you quite cross at the minute, but please don't totally discount ALL rescues there are lots out there who don't have 'blanket' bans on people with children and who work.
    I wouldn't have been able to have my 6 if that was the case.

I have adopted from Hope Rescue and Four Paws Animal Rescue, they both judge each individual circumstances, I adopted my first puppy from Hope when Lizzie was 6 and I was working part time

Thank you so much for sharing that information with us! It's good to know there are many other options out there.

I've not ever tried to home a dog or any pet through a rescue shelter so I have no idea what the process is like. It's good to know that they aren't all so stiff necked and hard to work with.

Nice to see you too!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    so sorry :-(

Hopre you find something real soon, some of them are quite strict and does not take account of each case :-(

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep an eye out in your vets for individual dogs put up for re-homing. When we had to re-home Sonny we put an advert up in a vetinary college and we found a fantastic home for him (With one of the proffesors) If you see of any adverts that are dogs being re-homed on an individual basis (I.E Direct from the owner) then they'll be much more understanding and they'll KNOW what a fantastic home you have
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 208953
    I've calmed down now. It's just annoying that we weren't allowed to fully explain our situation. Yes we both work but one of us works at home a lot of the time. We got as far as "yes we both work but..." and that was the end of the conversation.

And this is not the first time a rescue place has rejected us. Dogs Trust practically recoiled in horror when we mentioned we had a child.

So, we'll wait now until we return from Florida and then start checking the breeders to see who has a litter iminent. It's seems to be the only option for us. We don't want to perpetuate the cycle of breeding puppies but what choice do we have. Not have a dog altogether? Not an option.
    I got my first rescue dog in 1982 before it was the "thing" to do, Pepsi lived for a little over 20 years, we also had Molson, Sabre and now Lucky as rescue dogs. We had other dogs in our home through out the years as well that were golden retrievers mostly. We love our furry friends so for me to say it's gone over the edge is something. I understand that they need to be careful I really do, you don't want to have to place these animals again but to make it sooo difficult is crazy too.When I mentioned that we had our names down for a golden or chocolate lab puppy for the end of July, they were horrified that I wasn't going to just get another rescue from them. It was a heated discussion. The family raises and breeds their labs very carefully and not extensively. It is not a puppy mill and they keep whoever is not sold. I really felt that somehow I was unworthy!!

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds utterly absurd. So sorry to hear that Dawn.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    So many animals need good homes and yet they are saying no to good and loving homes because people work??? I think I would want to speak to someone a little more about the rejection. I think these people are doing more harm than good to the animals they are supposed to serve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you thought about taking a guide dog puppy for a year? You take them for the first year of their life, feed them, walk them, and give them basic training. Then after a year they go off to be trained as a guide dog. If they fail, you get first dibs on them.

I will warn you, my uncle started doing this five years ago - 2 have passed, 3 failed, of which he still has two!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just couldn't take a dog for a year then have to give it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 209098
    I just couldn't take a dog for a year then have to give it up.

My big sister was a guide dog trainer for many years and would bring the dogs home with her. It's amazing how quickly we would all get attached. I remember crying my eyes out when they were to go back.

maybe you could pop down to the shelter with a graph explaining just how little time the puppy would be on his own due to the fact that Adrian can work from home. Also do you have parents or friends near by that would be willing to take the puppy while you are out. Even if you can arrange this just for a start if you know what I mean

If they see that you are committed to doing the best for the pup, they might reconsider their decision.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast