Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special Memories

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of all the trips you've had to Florida, what are the memories that still make your eyes fill with happy tears?
    Can be any of the parks....even out of the parks.

Post Thanks / Like
    When David proposed on the monorail next to the wedding pavilion :) it's my forever happy memory :)

Post Thanks / Like
    When we went in dec 2001, Jon had been away loads and loads since sept, we had both been so stressed, when we were there we could just switch off and nothing could harm us. It was a total escape.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I should say our wedding at the grand floridian wedding pavilion + honeymoon at the wl and polynesian

...but what I also want to say is EPCOT illuminations. I was travelling around the world quite a bit some years ago and the company had a limo company in the UK on standby to take/collect execs to the airport. Every time I'd get the same old guy who'd tell me stories about disney world and a huge lake with fireworks round it.

I got to go some years later and had a hard time pulling myself together after illuminations. Absolutely fantastic (And still gets to me today after all these years)
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine's an on the way to Disney story. Keep in mind that I grew up in Florida so part of this was a complete nostalgia trip for me.

In 2003, as part of my DW's retirement celebration, I had booked our first Disney Cruise. The ship departed on a Saturday, so my DW and I decided we'd go down a little early and play Florida tourist on the way to Port Canaveral.

We drove down to St. Augustine from Atlanta on Wednesday before our cruise. Stayed right in downtown St. Augustine at 95 Cordoba. Loved it. On Thursday, we played tourist in St. Augustine. Visited all the tourist traps. One of these was the Castillo de San Marcos. I waxed nostalgic remembering years before when as a small child, my parents had brought me there shortly after we had moved to Florida in 1955.

Friday morning, my DW and I got up, checked out of the hotel and started slowly motoring down A1A to Port Canaveral where we had reservations that evening at the Radisson at the Port. This was the most wonderful drive I can remember taking. Along the way, we passed slowly by Marinland of Florida. Once again, the flood of memories returned as I remembered going there with my parents. Same trip as before.

Continuing on down A1A, we slowly made our way down Ormond Beach. While we were there, we spent a bit of time looking for my DW's grandparents house they had when she was a little girl. For a time, she too had lived in Florida in Daytona Beach. We managed to find the house on the intercoastal waterway although she did mention that it seemed a lot bigger when she was little.

A little farther on, we rolled into Daytona Beach and found where she had lived as a girl.

The remainder of the trip to Port Canaveral was taken up by the beauty of the Atlantic Ocean and wonderful beachfront properties all along the way. At least until we ran out of road!

So, that's my special memory. It's one that cost very little over and above the price of the cruise itself but it's one that's priceless for me. I hope someday, we'll be able to do it all again!

Tom (... keep Florida green! Bring money!)

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a truly bizarre one but on our last trip it was December and everything was all Christmassy. The best memory I have from that trip was my family and my brother's family in our cars in the parking lot at Dennys on I Drive sitting in our shorts and sunglasses all singing loudly to the Christmas songs on the radio. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is a brief glimpse into memory...

Herself's Da and I were very close. I loved him. That last time, we were all on the bridge between the UK and France watching the fireworks show. It was cold (December) and we were all wearing jackets to stay warm. He was a tall man, and I was standing next to him. He put his arm over my shoulders and asked if I was warm enough. I was.

We stood together watching the beautiful show... I didn't know then, of course that this would be our last time together at EPCOT, at the World Showcase, at the fireworks show, at anything Disney.

He was gone before the New Year cleared January.

It was very hard for me to return to The World Showcase, and I still, nine years later cannot watch the fireworks from that bridge...

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    omg it has to be standing at the top of main st for the very first time in 2000, lauren and mikey were 14 & 11 and seeing there faces looking at the castle brought tears to my eyes, still does everytime i think about it :D

im with keith.......everytime i watch illuminations with THAT music get to me from start to finish....im gonna go watch it later i miss illuminations
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    I think mine are all animal related....shocked you all haven't I

Swimming with wild manatee earlier this year was fantastic. Spending a day with the elephant keepers was fascinating.
    However, from everything I've done, my proudest, fondest, most special moment in this world was working with the big cats for a few days. I'm welling up now just thinking of it and everytime I think of it I can't help but shed a tear. The experiences I had with those cats was amazing. From mucking out, to grooming, to feeding, to having a Siberian tiger teach me how to chuff, my dream of massaging a fully grown male lion, to watching how fierce and protective they get when food is around - I loved every moment from deep within.

Post Thanks / Like
    Proposing to Lisa by our brick

our belated honeymoon watching Tapestry of Nations

The last time we went withteh boys, DC was pure magic as were all the fireworks and the moment we all went of Splash mountain together as a family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast