Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's my best option?

Post Thanks / Like
    This will be the first year we have been to Florida in the summer (August)
    I often hear stories of parades etc being cancelled in the afternoon because of rain.
    Would I be better off taking a nice rain jacket with hood with me / buying one of those cheap park ponchos / relying on a brolly?

Will I be bothered with mosquitos in late August?
    What about the lovebugs that I've heard about?

Post Thanks / Like
    If the parade is rained off then it's party at my villa. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Izzy you will be to hot in a rain jacket stick with a poncho :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 211087

I was going to say exactly the same thing - come see me

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 211087
    cool

Quote Originally Posted by daveann, post: 211099
    Izzy you will be to hot in a rain jacket stick with a poncho :)
    Thanks Ann. So, I'll just buy a poncho at the first need to do so

Quote Originally Posted by arkvilla, post: 211106
    I was going to say exactly the same thing - come see me :thumbsup

Sandra
    Yay....I'll have plenty to do in the rain then

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you are going to need mosquito repellent. They are vicious in August. So are the tiny stinging gnats referred to locally as "no see 'ums" as they are to tiny to notice until they've done their damage.

The rain will NOT cool things off, regardless of what you may be told. You'll need a poncho or something along those lines, but know that the whole time you have it on you will be melting from the heat. The real purpose of a poncho is to sit on once the rain has stopped and everything is covered in water. If you can find a flannel lined rain jacket, that would be the most comfortable as it keeps the plastic/vinyl from your skin. However, wherever the rain jacket ends, you'll be soaked. An umbrella is good as long as the wind doesn't get fierce. I use one because I wear glasses and HATE getting them all wet and blurry.

You'll want a small towel or facecloth with you too. They come in handy for wetting or wrapping around ice to use to cool off.

I carry a pretty precisely packed backpack for the summer months, just because of the heat, humidity, rain and stingin/biting bugs.

Be sure your footwear is something you don't mind getting wet, because you will definitely get your feet wet during the rain. I used to use Crocs, but don't anymore. I just carry a small pair of thongs and when the rain starts switch to them quickly to keep my shoes/trainers/socks dry.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 211127
    Yes, you are going to need mosquito repellent. They are vicious in August. So are the tiny stinging gnats referred to locally as "no see 'ums" as they are to tiny to notice until they've done their damage.

The rain will NOT cool things off, regardless of what you may be told. You'll need a poncho or something along those lines, but know that the whole time you have it on you will be melting from the heat. The real purpose of a poncho is to sit on once the rain has stopped and everything is covered in water. If you can find a flannel lined rain jacket, that would be the most comfortable as it keeps the plastic/vinyl from your skin. However, wherever the rain jacket ends, you'll be soaked. An umbrella is good as long as the wind doesn't get fierce. I use one because I wear glasses and HATE getting them all wet and blurry.

You'll want a small towel or facecloth with you too. They come in handy for wetting or wrapping around ice to use to cool off.

I carry a pretty precisely packed backpack for the summer months, just because of the heat, humidity, rain and stingin/biting bugs.

Be sure your footwear is something you don't mind getting wet, because you will definitely get your feet wet during the rain. I used to use Crocs, but don't anymore. I just carry a small pair of thongs and when the rain starts switch to them quickly to keep my shoes/trainers/socks dry.
    omg i wont ever go in august then thats for sure...was thinking about it for a 3 weeker sometime :(
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    It can be really brutal, Mick. The temperatures are in the high 80s mid 90s with humidity in the 110 and higher percentile. That means that you'll perspire until you are running rivulets off your body, and it won't evaporate because there is too much humidity in the air.

Summer months here are really like winter months elsewhere. You stay indoors, and hide with the AC. If you have to go out, you plan to do so in the early morning when you can breathe and the chance of the fierce thunderstorms are less.

Standing water create mosquito hoards, and the non-sea water lakes and ponds reach temperatures above 80 degrees which then breeds those deadly amoebas.

Seriously, Florida in the summer time is not necessarily an attractive place.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    My Jai spends the whole of our holiday looking for shade...

It is very humid and Tink is right - you always feel sticky and hot.

We are stuck with school holidays, otherwise we'd choose a different time to visit

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 211157
    It can be really brutal, Mick. The temperatures are in the high 80s mid 90s with humidity in the 110 and higher percentile. That means that you'll perspire until you are running rivulets off your body, and it won't evaporate because there is too much humidity in the air.

Summer months here are really like winter months elsewhere. You stay indoors, and hide with the AC. If you have to go out, you plan to do so in the early morning when you can breathe and the chance of the fierce thunderstorms are less.

Standing water create mosquito hoards, and the non-sea water lakes and ponds reach temperatures above 80 degrees which then breeds those deadly amoebas.

Seriously, Florida in the summer time is not necessarily an attractive place.
    im ok with high temps like that but the humidity would kill me i cant breath with the steam from a hot bath so thats a defo nono for me then. 3 weeker will have to be easter then, would luv to go at christmas but hate it if it was cold, i dont do cold
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast