Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how old to drink?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was asked for ID last time as well, infact they also asked the guy infront of me who looked like the KFC colonel and as he had no id they wouldn't serve him , there is a line between upholding teh law and common sense

Post Thanks / Like
    It is strictly enforced, true but WDW checking is beyond silly. If you go off site, you'll be asked only if the barkeep truly can't tell your age. Some do just ID everyone who appears to be under 40 as it really is safer for them. There are major repercussions if they are caught serving under age customers.

Disney usually is pretty strict about the number of drinks they'll provide to one guest too. It's silly, as we've seen time and time again, guests buying drinks for seemingly under age people. I do know though that if a guest is caught doing that all in the party are asked to leave.

Driving under the influence is another huge issue here. VERY strictly enforced, in some areas it's an immediate trip to the closest jail. Far, far better to leave your car and call a cab... than run the risk of being stopped.

Generally speaking one alcoholic drink per hour will not produce an illegal consumption level. However, that is a VERY general rule and not something to be applied without consideration for your usual tolerance for alcohol, the type, what you've eaten, ect.

The whole drinking and driving thing is why we stay on property for events like the Food and Wine Festival. That way we can both have a drink and not have to worry about driving.

Remember, providing alcoholic drinks to an underage person is illegal, regardless of whether you are the barkeep or not. "Contributing to the delinquency of a minor" is one of the charges, or if the LE agent wants to be really testy, "provision of illegal substance to a minor" can be the charge!

So, all that to say, yep. 21 to drink any type of alcohol, period.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    In the UK you have to be 18 to buy alcohol but you only have to be 16 to drink a pint/glass of lager, cider or wine with your meal, and it has to be a table meal. Obviously you need to be accompanied by an adult. Drinking at home has no legal limit, though.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 212680
    In the UK you have to be 18 to buy alcohol but you only have to be 16 to drink a pint/glass of lager, cider or wine with your meal, and it has to be a table meal. Obviously you need to be accompanied by an adult. Drinking at home has no legal limit, though.
    Really?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 212599
    It is strictly enforced, true but WDW checking is beyond silly. If you go off site, you'll be asked only if the barkeep truly can't tell your age. Some do just ID everyone who appears to be under 40 as it really is safer for them. There are major repercussions if they are caught serving under age customers.

Disney usually is pretty strict about the number of drinks they'll provide to one guest too. It's silly, as we've seen time and time again, guests buying drinks for seemingly under age people. I do know though that if a guest is caught doing that all in the party are asked to leave.

Driving under the influence is another huge issue here. VERY strictly enforced, in some areas it's an immediate trip to the closest jail. Far, far better to leave your car and call a cab... than run the risk of being stopped.

Generally speaking one alcoholic drink per hour will not produce an illegal consumption level. However, that is a VERY general rule and not something to be applied without consideration for your usual tolerance for alcohol, the type, what you've eaten, ect.

The whole drinking and driving thing is why we stay on property for events like the Food and Wine Festival. That way we can both have a drink and not have to worry about driving.

Remember, providing alcoholic drinks to an underage person is illegal, regardless of whether you are the barkeep or not. "Contributing to the delinquency of a minor" is one of the charges, or if the LE agent wants to be really testy, "provision of illegal substance to a minor" can be the charge!

So, all that to say, yep. 21 to drink any type of alcohol, period.

If it was my usual tolerance, everyone would have to stop at 1/2 glass!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkfan, post: 212770
    Really?!

and we are even considered strict by the standards of most of Europe, most French kids have watered down wine from a very early age with meals.

Its about attitudes and being sensible, you can raise the age all you like but kids will still drink - there is a body of thought that suggests the more taboo you make it the more likely kids are going to do it in secret and to excess, if they are allowed to do it under their parents supervision and it is socially acceptable then it causes less problems. Unfortunately attitudes to alcohol in this country are not great, wish we could be more French if I'm honest.

Post Thanks / Like
    My two have had watered down wine with a meal. Daniel now has the occasional bottle of beer but always with a meal. He's 16 in a few weeks. I think if you ban something it makes it more enticing and you're more likely to have problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 212779
    and we are even considered strict by the standards of most of Europe, most French kids have watered down wine from a very early age with meals.

Its about attitudes and being sensible, you can raise the age all you like but kids will still drink - there is a body of thought that suggests the more taboo you make it the more likely kids are going to do it in secret and to excess, if they are allowed to do it under their parents supervision and it is socially acceptable then it causes less problems. Unfortunately attitudes to alcohol in this country are not great, wish we could be more French if I'm honest.

I agree, when I was growing up in the Dark Ages the legal age was 18, the thrill was gone so to speak by the time you were 20 lol! Now, they're still sneaking around when they're juniors and seniors in college. The mind set back then for the change was to "prevent" drunk driving. Sadly, it didn't work. I agree that the legal age of 18 allowed kids to drink legally at school functions held off the grounds, so why not 19? We used to have a rough go of watching our classes at the prom!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, have to agree that there is some real truth to this point of view.

We have serious issues with drinking in our colleges and universities because the kids come of age when they are away from home, and well... you get the rest.

It's a big deal to go out and get totally drunk on your 21st, which is not the point eh?

I do believe that families should be able to govern their own children's "drinking." Unless it involves other children/teens and problems with too much alcohol, families here don't have much problem with allowing their teens to have some alcohol on occassion.

In my parents home we were allowed to have wine with dinner in our teens and my Da never minded you having a taste of what he may have for a cocktail (again in the home). My sister used to have a teeny tiny mug that my Grandfather would put some beer in (amounted to a teaspoon or so) and boy did she think she was important.

Drinking responsibly is the key. If you surround it with mystique and make it appear to be something more important than it actually is, you inflate the tendency to drink too much.

Far better for teens to be introduced to responsible drinking by their families than left to learn about the ills of over consumption with their friends.

Rather like the other taboo subject, eh? ;) We don't want our kids learning about ummm...procreation from irresponsible people, now do we?

Same with drinking.

Boy, I'm just too soap boxy for words lately.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Interestingly in Scandinavia the age of consent for that Tink is very low and the Teen pregnancy rate is the lowest in europe - you take away the 'thrill' and discuss it openly and the kids don't want to do it any more ( well you know what I mean)

If you can vote at 18 you really should be able to do anything else

just MHO

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast