Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me carpe diem a camcorder thingy for August

Post Thanks / Like
    OK have decided we need a camcorder thing for our Disney trip. But having not touched one of these since they took full size VHS tapes I'm a bit in the dark about them. So some help needed please.

Here's our criteria

SMALL!!!
    External storage
    Some kind of optical zoom

We're looking for something that will give a decent image when played back on TV - not really needing professional quality but something that takes a "nice" picture.

Budget is 300 though could possibly stretch that if it was REALLY worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you looking at some sort of flip-type mini-corder, or a full DV tape camcorder?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Open to all suggestions that don't need a suitcase to carry them around.

Might get one of those little kodak jobbies we're all drooling over in Skywatcher's thread to play with but if there's something out there with zoom and a few more features then I'm interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    How much are you anticipating Videoing? Would a better stills camera which has HD recording capacity work better?
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    No idea. We haven't owned one so don't really know how much we'll use it. I suspect we'll use it a lot with a 7 year old in many theme parks though.

Post Thanks / Like
    i still prefer the mini dv tapes dawn, the footage is crystal clear, easy to make movies to burn to dvd, media is cheap. you have masters of all the movies, unlike other formats once deleted. and a sony everytime for me...mine is about 4in sq fits in your back pocket. every one a plus for what i want
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 213301
    i still prefer the mini dv tapes dawn, the footage is crystal clear, easy to make movies to burn to dvd, media is cheap. you have masters of all the movies, unlike other formats once deleted. and a sony everytime for me...mine is about 4in sq fits in your back pocket. every one a plus for what i want
    well im going to say that my sanyo picture is crystal clear and they is no way im going to lug dv tapes on my next trip

infact it was perfect to record everything from the water parks to the water rides to normal recording

i managed to record lots of things that i wouldnt of be able to do with my dv camcorder

sd cards are cheap now a days so didnt cost much to get extra memory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd go with a mini one, we're not looking for cinematic quality, just capturing some moving memories, and if you can do that with no moving parts in a box the size of a small mobile then bingo - put the other 250 towards something else

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 213310
    I'd go with a mini one, we're not looking for cinematic quality, just capturing some moving memories, and if you can do that with no moving parts in a box the size of a small mobile then bingo - put the other 250 towards something else
    yeah agreed
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The main advantage of SD cards is the price of them now-a-days However, I do like DV tapes for the reasons that Mick states.

It really does depend on what you want, though. If you're going to film AND take photos, I'd perhaps go with Keith's suggestion and get a camera that also does HD video I've never come across a video camera that takes nice pictures but I've seen plenty of cameras that take stunning videos.

I don't know how much they are, but some of the DSLR cameras now do HD videos too I'm guessing they'll be more about 400/500, though
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast