Thread: Advice on whether to pay for DD friends?

Post Thanks / Like
    not been on for awhile sorry but in a dilemma and need advice

we're going back in august and have invited a couple of DDs friends along. we've already said to their parents that they dont need to worry about accommodation we'll take care of it.

the thing is, no one's said anything about park tickets, food, spending money and yesterday we all had a bit of a planning meeting where the kids were all excited but nothing was said about the other expenses even though we tried to hint

if your dd/ds was invited would you expect the family doing the inviting to pay for the whole lot, tickets/food and accommodation? we'll obviously not let the friends go hungry and will be taking them places anyway but its just some offer of contribution wouldve been nice

what would you do?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would let the families know that I would be paying for their lodging, and main food meals. However, the guest would be responsible for park ticket media, any souveniers or snack like purchases they wanted to make.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    id just come right out with it and ask them. saying you do realise that we are only paying blah blah blah!!! then see what they say. what about travel costs?
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    I would broach them about this and let them know what funds they need to come up with. Just in conversation you might say " how much spending money are you allowing Susie to take with her?"And then work in the price of the park tickets and what you think each may need for meals or the DDP.( in fact that may be a good price per day for food if you are planning on TS meals as well ,even without the DP.) Better to do this sooner rather than later to give the families time to prepare. But honestly you would think that they would have broached you first.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to take the other side of the fence on this until I know more.

How was the invite worded? In other words did you just flat out invite them to go with you or did you say something along the lines of "we'd be happy to take you along?" If you didn't imply that you weren't going to cover all expenses then you may have put your foot in your mouth on the invite. You are liable to end up with some pretty disappointed children, if you go back on the invite now.

How are you getting there? Are you driving, flying? Again your invite may have implied that you would cover these costs also.

When we took our grandchildren down we told their parents that we would pay park tickets, meals, accommodations. However, the parents would be responsible for air fare and souvenir money.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    We'll be there in August and my DD is bringing her best friend along. We discussed from the beginning what they would be financially obligated for, so it's never really been an issue. We're paying for lodging and meals, her parents are responsible for park ticket, plane ticket and souvenir money. In the interest of full disclosure, the meals won't be a huge expense as Baleigh now qualifies for the "adult" meal plan and my assumption is that for most meals, they will share.

We're looking forward to having her join us, she's a sweet girl and we really love having her around :)

Post Thanks / Like
    mmm when we go to Ireland we are bringing my youngest sons friend. I asked if he would like to come along with us and was immediately offered money for the fare and spending money.

i explained there was no cost for accommodation as we are staying with family, and that the ferry costs are covered. we are hoping for a night in a hotel whilst there and have been offered his share of that, food and spending which seems fair.

i wonder if the family feel as awkward about it as you do? money is always a difficult subject isn't it. That said, i would always assume i would be paying my childs costs if they were invited.

As you have told them you'll take care of accommodation you'd think they would realise they need to cover the rest, or at least ask you. Maybe you're just going to have to be straightforward and let them know how much they need to contribute.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think i would ever assume that the person who invited my dd along was paying, especially not for a holiday in Florida as that would cost far too much money!
    You could either start a conversation about spending money etc and see what they say or give them a note with the website on for their park tickets and say "this is the company we use, theyre very competitive" and see what they say to that!