Thread: Excel question

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I will try and explain as clear as possible!

I am currently creating a case management toolkit using the excel where the staff can use list option to log each case as they arrive at our service.

However, I am aware that it is possible to 'hide' the list option in order for it to become a drop down menu.

Currently I have create the data list at the bottom and it look rather messy if you know what I mean?

I was told that you can create a data at the very top and use heading and title as a banner to 'hide' the listings is this true?

If so how do I do this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I was hoping I could help, but I don't think I can. I use Excel myself and am familiar with the cells that have a drop down menu function for the particular cell, but I've not created it on my own.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    So, you want to turn a list of things into a drop down menu, but have them hidden from the users so that it doesn't look so messy?

I'd put the list of 'options' into a row on a different page/worksheet, and then hide that worksheet.

So, for example, on 'Worksheet 1' You would have "Option 1, Option 2, Option 3", then on 'Worksheet 2' you would have the drop-down box with all of those options.

Then, go to 'Worksheet 1' and click format> sheet> hide.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Will that then produce a cell with the drop down arrow, that once you click on it the selections can be seen (unrolled) and once you choose your selection it will be entered into the cell and the remaining (unused) options will return to being hidden? (That's what I'm trying to do).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    That will simply hide the input options.

Basically, when I did a drop-down menu, I had 5 options that I wanted to display.

I put them in an ordered list in a separate work sheet, and then so that it was neat and tidy, hid that worksheet and created the drop-down menu on a separate sheet.

To create the drop-down menu, I followed these instructions;
    Microsoft Excel drop down list - Google Search
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Josh. I keep telling myself I need to take a refresher course to keep up with the changes in Excel (the last update really made a mess out of my "stuff") but simply cannot squeeze the time out of my stupid schedule.

Hey! There's summer employment for you! Traveling Excel teacher!

Post Thanks / Like
    My bags are packed, get the guest room ready
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure I'm completely with what you plan but I'll give it a shot...

To create the list dropdown (if you haven't already)

Select a cell where you want the dropdown to be
    Go to DATA - Data validation - settings - ALLOW - choose LIST
    Select your source cells for the list items (which will be at the bottom of your worksheet and visible at the moment)

click OK that should give you your drop down

Now to hide the list items down at the bottom
    select the cells
    right click - format cells
    select NUMBER and in category CUSTOM
    in the TYPE box ignore whats in there, delete it and type ;;; and click OK

The cells should now be hidden
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, can you solve my problem then?

i have a rota that i've put on excel.

it has 7 pages -one for each day of the week with times down the left side and names on the top. We then put the person recieving hte visit's name in the appropriate time slot. what i would like it to do is if i delete the person for it to be deleted at that time for the rest of the 7 days- can you do this? The admin support weren't recruited specifically for that role so look at me vacantly when i ask for this