Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dollar

Post Thanks / Like
    Less than a month for me and trying to work out when to change over our spending money.

We use XE.com and tranfer it straight to our US bank account.

Sent some yesterday to pay bills and I got $1.48391

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    So reading on here that people have gone at 1.35 doesn't make 1.5 seem bad. Seem to remember going once while it was 1.6 but was still chuffed to bits at filling the car up with fuel for 20

Post Thanks / Like
    1.6 is really good! One time we went we got 1.9something, last time it was 1.46! Looks like its going to be much the same for this trip too

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott1066, post: 220201
    So reading on here that people have gone at 1.35 doesn't make 1.5 seem bad. Seem to remember going once while it was 1.6 but was still chuffed to bits at filling the car up with fuel for 20
    scott

we go whatever the rate is at the time, it doesnt have a bearing whether wwe go or not, we go whenever we have the money. cant do anything about the rate so i wont lose any sleep over it, it is what it is :)
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was at work I always had mixed feelings about the Dollar v GBP exchange rate, and I still do to some extent.

Yes, on one hand when the rate was "favourable" to us folks travelling to the States on vacation for a couple of weeks a year it was great, however on the other hand it was crippling our company who did a lot of work overseas and this exchange rate made our exports mega expensive thus resulting in many UK companies like mine having to make cut backs.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...just to add.
    One way around this conversion rate issue for us Brits is to open a US bank account as we did.
    By this method you could transfer funds when the exchange rate is "favourable" so that when you go on vacation the exchange rate no longer becomes an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 220257
    ...just to add.
    One way around this conversion rate issue for us Brits is to open a US bank account as we did.
    By this method you could transfer funds when the exchange rate is "favourable" so that when you go on vacation the exchange rate no longer becomes an issue.
    cool what a great idea, can anyone open a US account terry?
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 220225
    scott

we go whatever the rate is at the time, it doesnt have a bearing whether wwe go or not, we go whenever we have the money. cant do anything about the rate so i wont lose any sleep over it, it is what it is :)
    100% agree, we're going no matter what but would rather have a good exchange rate although we can personally do nothing about it. When or if it looks better will get in a few dollars though

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott1066, post: 220277
    100% agree, we're going no matter what but would rather have a good exchange rate although we can personally do nothing about it. When or if it looks better will get in a few dollars though
    oh yeah we do that too if we have the spends then, i think 1.725 is the highest we have had

i will try and remember to post the dollar rate updates every day...have you seen that thread scott?
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 220258
    can anyone open a US account terry?
    Well I guess that if they let me do it then they should let anyone set up an account Mick.

Seriously though, we set our account up when we bought our villa over there and we use it mainly for paying our utility bills etc.on line [along with a couple of direct debits] although the bank did send us a cheque book also which we occasionally use for "one off" payments eg the villa insurance etc..
    I also have an ATM card from the bank for the odd cash withdrawal that I may need to make when we are over there.

It was a while back when we opened the account in the States [around 2004 I think] but from memory it was an easy process. Again [from memory], all I had to do was to send a photostat copy of our passports and to wire over some funds to get started and apart from signing a couple of forms that was about that.
    So long as I stay in credit then I don`t pay any charges at all

It`s very convenient for us as there is a branch of our bank at Champions Gate near to our villa and the staff there are very welcoming whenever you walk through the door.

It really is great not having to think too much about the exchange rate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast