Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dr Laura Schlesinger And Homosexuality

Post Thanks / Like
    I was sent this the other day, tis a good one

In her radio show, Dr Laura Schlesinger said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance.

The following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura, penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet.

It's funny, as well as informative:
    ~~~~~~~~~

Dear Dr. Laura:
    Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination ... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians! Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?!?!

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws??!!!?! (Lev.20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan

Nicki

Post Thanks / Like
    Spectacular.

Steven Fry had a phrase regarding religion that he used on QI, I cannot type it here as I wouldhave to ban myself

Post Thanks / Like
    a very well thought out reply.....very funny!!

I would love to see the response.....wriggle outta that one Dr!!

Post Thanks / Like
    That is so clever thanks for sharing with us
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Brilliant!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 220578
    Spectacular.

Steven Fry had a phrase regarding religion that he used on QI, I cannot type it here as I wouldhave to ban myself
    Ah yes, I know that quote

Nicki

Post Thanks / Like
    So good. I loved it - spot on... I bet the good doctor didn't reply!!

Wish I could think up things like that when a jobsworth annoys me..

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to do a presentation workshop regarding acceptance of homosexuality in the residents/clients we serve...

One of the "raising awareness tools" that I would use was a Questionnaire that turned the stereotypical questions back on the heterosexual community.

"So, when did you decide to become heterosexual?"

Things like that.

I love the article that Sister Tinkerbell has posted. I've used it's reference often. :D

Another point that has been made is the word abomination and it's CONTEXT... when we are citing bilical passages it's critical (if you are an ethical person anyway) to remember that the meaning of the word needs to be from the historical context. Using today's definition is often flat out wrong.

Rather like the original meaning of queer or gay, yes? :D

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 220604
    "So, when did you decide to become heterosexual?"
    And how many say "I've always been this way"? But still cannot accept that this is also the way for every one else? It's not like waking up one morning and thinking "oh I know I'll try coffee without milk today to see if I like it!" It's who you are - simple!

I don't choose to be straight
    I don't choose to be gay
    I don't choose to be bi
    I am who I am!

Saddens me so much that so many people are so bigoted :(

Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 220604
    Another point that has been made is the word abomination and it's CONTEXT... when we are citing bilical passages it's critical (if you are an ethical person anyway) to remember that the meaning of the word needs to be from the historical context. Using today's definition is often flat out wrong.

Rather like the original meaning of queer or gay, yes? :D
    , a thousand times :D

Nicki

Post Thanks / Like
    You are so right, Sister Tinkerbell.

It's a huge struggle to have people understand that who you are is not always a matter of choice. It's a complicated factor as we can choose so many things in our lives. We can choose to be decent to one another, we choose the g-d in which we believe, or we choose not to believe in a deity, we choose the way we want to eat, to raise our children, heck even what laws we'll follow.

We can dye our hair, and use colored contacts on our eyes, we can even to a certain extent change our skin color but we cannot change the underlying factors that gave us our skin color, our hair color, ect... anymore than we can change who we love.

People do have unions with others for many reasons other than true desire, that doesn't change who and what they are, eh?

If you really pushed me to say, I'd hazard a guess that many people who present as heterosexual are repressed homosexuals who simply cannot deal with the social stigma of being gay. Oftentimes that repression comes out in terribly homophobic ways.

Anyway, one person at a time, eh? That really is the way to change the world.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast